Computerised MOT system in the UK

Larry Hayward

I hope Ken Jackson and the MVT will forgive me for reproducing Ken Jackson's letter in Windscreen for those who have not seen it - but from what he says it does seem that you can't get your vehicle MOT'ed if the system says it does not need one! Some times vehicles will be bought that have MOT's that expire at an inconvenient time - like in the middle of the show season - so what happens if you need to get the MOT done three months early? Has anyone else had problems and has anyone written to the 'DVLA'

Spot of MOT Bother

I have just put my Champ through the new computerized MOT with some interesting observations and almost coincidently I had an email from Steve who has just done the same with his Jeep. I have to say that his story takes the biscuit so I have included his tail of woe, perhaps it would be useful if more of these escapades could be recorded. This might make you chuckle. The new computerized MOT system is supposed to make things easier!

At the end of March, I put the Jeep through its first MOT in my ownership, and it passed ok. This was the first time it was tested on the new computer system. A few weeks ago, I got a letter from the DVLA saying there was a difference between the MOT and logbook records. Could I please fill out the form provided with the correct manufacturer, chassis number etc etc... So I did and sent it. A few days ago I got a phone call asking what the chassis number was and did I really get it off the vehicle. I said I did and confirmed the number. So the new log book arrives, with the Jeep called a Hutchkis (not Hotchkiss) and the chassis numbers were all there, just not in the right order! The original logbook at least had the chassis number correct! Here's where it gets good! I checked the MOT certificate, and find they copied the chassis number down wrong from the old hand written MOT, so I take the Jeep and MOT etc. back to be altered.

Because of the new computer system, the records couldn't be altered! So the Jeep would have to go through a new MOT...BUT...The computer wouldn't accept the Jeep as needing an MOT until another two years time, because the MOT certificate and log book said that the Jeep was first registered in the UK, in April 2005 (when I bought it), and so didn't need any MOT! Well obviously it did, or I couldn't get the log book corrected, so they had to put the thing back through a complete MOT before the computer would accept it, because with the new computer system, even the time taken performing the MOT is logged with the DVLA to reduce fraud. Eventually I came out of the garage with the correct paperwork, so now I can get the DVLA to amend the logbook AGAIN, without it throwing a wobbler because it doesn't match! So best of luck to all who enter the dark and mysterious realms of super efficient new DVLA technology

]

Ken Jackson

Member 12378

Thanks Steve.

So perhaps you can explain how things would be if an MV owner turned up three or four months early for an MOT coz their vehicle had an MOT that expires in August?

And by the way no engine number is recorded on my V5 though its clear to see on my Lightweight Land Rover - so should I write to the DVLA now or wait to see if they write to me after the MOT?

I think they could do the MOT early OK, but I would leave the log book alone until after the MOT.

When I took the jeep back to be re-MOT'd after finding the error, it was only 2 months into the new MOT, so I don't see any problems ( fingers crossed ) in getting the test early.

My original log book didn't have the engine number, and this wasn't an issue in the MOT. One of the main problems was caused because my jeep was an import, and wasn't registered until April 05. That's why the computer thought it needed three years free! The MOT tester then retried using the date of manufacture, and it allowed him to continue.

Each time I tried to change the log book, it took six weeks to two months, and then it kept coming back wrong. They all appear dyslexic at the DVLA as each time the chassis number or engine number came back mixed up or with digits missing!

Steve

I always go to the DVLA local office to sort out problems. I have been there twice this year to get tracked vehicles made MOT exempt. The staff are always helpful and I would rather leave knowing the problem is sorted than send stuff off and have to wait months for it to reappear wrong.

Chris

It was my Jeep they messed up on. I mailed the story to Ken who was about to MOT his Champ as I thought it would give him a chuckle, and he asked to pass it on to the MVT mag!

Steve

PS it then took another 6 months and three other log books before the DVLA sent me one without mistakes!!!

I've read this already, you posted it on the forum too didn't you?

It's the same as if you want to renew your tax through the DVLA website.

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Fh66orsfiHkyBbw6dGZrLUxhX54ttXRzyoQxQ514SHy2QYwr9YAH!-1567222848!355991258?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Apply+for+a+tax+disc+NOW%21

All fine and dandy it you have an MOT, but not so if your vehicle doesn't legally need an MOT.

I was trying to renew my Tax disc on line and when they question you about the MOT, they say :

My vehicle has been issued with a new style MOT :

The options are :

Yes / No / Not Applicable.

So you use the not applicable option, finish the rest of the form and then it tells you that you can't get a tax disc as they have no record of a valid MOT certificate for that vehicle !!! :argh:

You can also renew your tax disc over the phone .... except ... yup, they have to be able to see a valid MOT certificate to be able to send you a new tax disc.

Why send you the letters about it all regarding the vehicle whos tax is due for renewal when we can't actually use the website !!! :argh:

Ended up having to rush down the post office to do it.

Cara

x