Bike licence for sidecar?

in the nid eightys u could ride any cc bike with a sidecar on l plates , once saw a z1300 6 cyl bike with a device called a sidewinder which was a token sidecar been ridden on l plates quite impressive let me tell u

:D

I rember that, it used to be upto 250cc for solo machines but they reduced this to 125cc but you could ride any bike with a sidecar. Some bright spark then created the sidewinder, to exploit this loophole. It was basically a wheel and a plank which pivoted so you could lean round corners.

It also appears that they have changed the rule that allowed learners to carry a pillion passenger who had a full licence.

Rules have changed since then and there are numerous ways of getting a licence. dependant on age etc, but you need a bike license for a sidecar. The link below might help clarify things.

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/getdoc/b464be52-72b4-4044-9be9-664b1006c00a/Licence-categories.aspx

Mike

So from reading that I assume that someone who passed their car test circa 1988 would still need to take a full bike test with CBT, to drive an M/C Sidecar combo?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_180694

Just check to see what codes you have on your licence & that will tell you what you can drive..

happy days 250lc,s kh250s, can u stiil drive a 3 wheel car on bike licence.

IIRC it only allowed you to drive a 3 wheeler if it did not have a reverse gear.

Not sure if it still applies, but then there are alot less 3 wheelers, with or without reverse.

Mike

IIRC it only allowed you to drive a 3 wheeler if it did not have a reverse gear.

Not sure if it still applies, but then there are alot less 3 wheelers, with or without reverse.

Mike

But Urals, Cossacks etc have a reverse. Something Im looking into. What if you took reverse out? As some of them seem to have?

Yes you need a full bike licence to ride a bike, with or without sidecar.

Trikes and quads can be driven on a car licence. Not sure where you stand regarding driven sidecar units, but I wouldn't have thought it would be classed as a trike as the sidecar would be joined onto the bike where as a trike is an integeral unit.

I've got my full bike licence. I'm looking at buying a BMW F800GS in the near future for commuting. Will need to test ride it first though to see if I like it.

Honda Goldwings also have a reverse gear (electric).

Don't believe reverse has anything to do with classification the 3 wheeler without reverse allowance probably dated back to the 50/60's when you could have an Isetta or Messerschmitt and has most likly been thoroughly closed by now.

IIRC trikes have other rules governing use and operation dependant upon wieght etc. Above a certain wieght I believe you require a seatbelt.

Motorcycle/sidecar combo registration class may be dependant upon how easy it is to remove the side car.

Mike