tyres

paulob1

Question

okay I think, doing my stolly,change the bar grips for ural super aggressive tyres for its off roading fun...easy job split rims one off the other on...I have a set of old wheels fitted with saracen tyres so I though I would use them..and yes they are the ally wheels not the steel saracen wheels...before we get side tracked...anyway doing the first wheel all okay even though the very last nut decides not to come free so we have to cut it off...anyone got a wheel bolt for them...the ones that hold the rims together...

anyway, there is a rubber protective band inside the saracen tyre, a rubber pad that goes inside the tyre, between the inner tube and the wheel...anyone got any ideas how to fit these back into the wheel, and or if they are needed..I assume they are to keep the inner tyre stable but ?

Anyway I don't remember them being on the stalwart wheels when I had to change the inner tube on one of them...but I may be wrong, I just remember it being actually really easy but with this rubber pad/band inside it is a real job and a half...

I will take a stolly wheel off tomorrow and see if that is the same...

8 answers to this question

anyway, there is a rubber protective band inside the saracen tyre, a rubber pad that goes inside the tyre, between the inner tube and the wheel...anyone got any ideas how to fit these back into the wheel, and or if they are needed..I assume they are to keep the inner tyre stable but ?

Anyway I don't remember them being on the stalwart wheels when I had to change the inner tube on one of them...but I may be wrong, I just remember it being actually really easy but with this rubber pad/band inside it is a real job and a half...

I will take a stolly wheel off tomorrow and see if that is the same...

Paul,

The Saracen tyre is a runflat, hence the rubber band is a bead spacer to keep the beads on the rim in the case of a deflation, allowing you to get to a place of safety before changing the wheel. You will not need it on the Stalwart, for one reason, it may not pinch between the tyre beads on your new tyres, owing to the fact they will be thinner beads. another point, which I have doubts on is that the alloy wheels from the Saracen (which are probably Saladin 10 inch rims), may not be as wide as the Stalwart ones, which are wider tyres from Saracen/Saladin.

As AM says, you will need a gaitor for your new tyres.

Buy a large plastic bottle of baby powder from your favorite supermarket, makes things so much easier if you cover everything with it, inside tyre, flap and tube. A bit of towel works well for spreading it about.

It may puff out when you inflate, so get the unscented to avoid funny looks...

Some fitters like to inflate and then fully deflate the tyre, this lets tube and flap relax, so on final inflation any folds or tucks should disappear, makes sense to me..

my local tyre supplier, wealden tyres, has a machine that holds the wheel vertically and spins it slowly while an arm with a free wheeling steel dish that can move side ways and forward pushes in on the bead and forces the tyre off, it can get a 30/40yr old 11.00x20 off a Bedford RL rim in 2 mins, lovely bit of kit

regards

Paul,

The Saracen tyre is a runflat, hence the rubber band is a bead spacer to keep the beads on the rim in the case of a deflation, allowing you to get to a place of safety before changing the wheel. You will not need it on the Stalwart, for one reason, it may not pinch between the tyre beads on your new tyres, owing to the fact they will be thinner beads. another point, which I have doubts on is that the alloy wheels from the Saracen (which are probably Saladin 10 inch rims), may not be as wide as the Stalwart ones, which are wider tyres from Saracen/Saladin.

As AM says, you will need a gaitor for your new tyres.

Yes I must admit i know that the tyres are bigger on the stolly ..am pretty sure that the alloy wheels were made for the stolly only, so they must be stolly wheels thats my assumption..but when I have the other one off i will check..but I am not going to insert the run flat beads

Yes I must admit i know that the tyres are bigger on the stolly ..am pretty sure that the alloy wheels were made for the stolly only, so they must be stolly wheels thats my assumption..but when I have the other one off i will check..but I am not going to insert the run flat beads

Yes stalwart wheels are wider than sarracen, unfortunatly 2 weeks ago i weighed in a full set of stalwart rims !

Edited by antar
spelling