Vietnam Tank wrecks

fesm_ndt

the second picture of the m113 shows another tank in the trees, not the same M41 as the first picture...but amazing after all these years they are still there...and appearing to be in relatively good order, are they memorials or something...

. are they memorials or something...

Apparently taken 5 years ago and was basically where they were abandonned.

Glad I could provide some entertainment. I had some Yemeni guys on course also so I asked if the knew of any wrecks over there way also

Stone

You stirred a very vague memory here, but wasn't the Chaffee on the second series of Tank Overhaul from Vietnam? (or they ran a segment on the ?French ones there...?)

I think they ran a segment on the M24s flown into Dien Bien Phu -I'can't remember if they said where the M24 in the programme came from -I suspect it was from the USA.

The post French Indo-China was M24s used in Vietnam were interesting along, with the M41s and PCs they were often refered to a Coup bugys by US advisers and journalists being used in several coups -the last president of South Vietnam -an air force colonel kept redundant M24s at several air bases as an insurance.

The M41s and M113s shown in the pictures were probably later than the Communist takeover having continued in service during the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia to put down the Kamer Rouge in the 1980s and served on the border against possible Chinese incursions into the 1990s.

Steve

I think the Dien Bien Phu M24s are still there, as a form of memorial. A quick google brought up this website:

http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=41

It's in French, but if you scroll down there are modern pictures of Bazeilles, Auerstadt, Saumur and maybe others.