Shared ownership of military vehicles ?

Fugly

Just a thought , but has anyone ever encountered a scheme for shared ownership of military vehicles? The reason I ask is that with private aircraft (which are high maintenance , high capital outlay items ) they are often owned by a syndicate of shareholders who book flying time but share the costs of ownership and upkeep. This brings the possibility of getting involved to within the budget of ordinary working people.

Could the same principle be applied to Military vehicles ownership - EG 10 enthusiasts in a local area club to gether to purchase a (relatively) high value military vehicle .

People do it with race horses, aircraft - why not tanks ???

Any thoughts or opinions :-D

No reason why not in theory..... However, I suspect it would not run too smoothly!

With an aircraft, certain things have to be done and money spent accordingly. Weather often prevents use but it is relatively easy to share ownership ammicably.

On a vehicle, there is often a choice when it comes to spending money. New tyres, tracks, canvas etc. I would expect disagreement on a regular basis!

There is a classic car ownership scheme running along these lines.

If I remeber correctly the "club" owns the vehicles and members pay an annual subscription which pays for the maintenance, storage and insurance of the vehicles.

You then have the right to book a vehicle out for a set amount of time each month.

I believe they also have a few specifically for track days.

This is all from the deepest recesses of my memory, remember reading or seeing it on TV somewhere.

Mike

I've been a joint owner of several project vehicles in the past and I would not recommend it. It's a sure-fire way to test friendships to the limit. Priorities will always be different and inevitably one person will feel they are putting more time or money into it than others.

That said, three of us share ownership of our modern flatbed transporter, we track the expenditure and I believe the other two are happy with the way it's working out.

- MG

Thanks for the opinions chaps , all valid points. If the "membership could include storage and somewhere to run a vehicle, particularly with tracked vehicles (somewhere off road).

Maybe a fixed amount could be paid into a maintenance pot and that dictates the amount of work that can be be completed, and then taking the idea forward maybe having a well maintained vehicle available for film work , kids parties and similar so that some revenue could be created .

I have seen a similar scheme for works of art and collectors who purchase the items , with a view to vehicles an increasing in value?

Would it provide access to vehicles that may normally be denied to some people because they don't have access to parking for a tank!

As one comment said it could help fund a transport vehicle etc??

One friend of mine is a one third share owner of an aircraft.

Aircraft have a nasty habit of being bought by such partners and having hours of work done and appreciating in value. Once they have gained that higher value and one of the partners dies, the other two old codgers can't afford to buy his share from the widow who wants premium dollar.

The solution my buddy has with his two partners is that they have a legal agreement that sees the share of the dying member being split equally with the other two surviving old goats.

So the same happens again when the next old goat pegs it, and the last man standing now owns the plane.

This is quite a common way of sorting part ownership in aircraft over here and is well recongised and legal.

Robin

I also have shares in a couple of aircraft and it works very well. We pay a fixed amount per month to cover hangarage, insurance and expected maintenance. We then pay a set amount for every hour we fly individually.

We also have a similar agreement to your friend Robin. This came about as one of our members used to own a share in a PA-28 and when one of their members passed away, his partner of 20 years was expecting her share but then his wife appeared on the scene demanding it as well.....

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Alternatively you could enlist in the Army :D

Now that is a good idea....... Join Great (?) Britains armed forces and share some equipment with another country perhaps, maybe the odd French aircraft carrier ? Sounds familiar !

I dont know how the senior service will cope with those french toilets though ? If they can't avoid the coast of Scotland with a nuclear submarine how are they going to cope with hitting a 6 inch hole ...........

I also have shares in a couple of aircraft and it works very well. We pay a fixed amount per month to cover hangarage, insurance and expected maintenance. We then pay a set amount for every hour we fly individually.

We also have a similar agrrement to your friend Robin. This came about as one of our members used to own a share in a PA-28 and when one of their members passed away, his partner of 20 years was expecting her share but then his wife appeared on the scence demanding it as well.....

:-D

He ! He ! agreements are always a problem - especially if the girlfriend turns up. I think the right sort of vehicle could appreciate over time and make it a viable system - probably best if you don't do it with friends though . And if an agrrement is binding then no worries.

Cheers !