Location of turnlights and side lights on SIII Lightweight-different?

Bilbo42

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramble. I am in the States and I purchased the only two Lightweights I have ever seem in real life so I don't have much of a base of comparison other than the internet or books like the one Mark Cook did.. The first was also a 1974 but not an FFR. I had to sell it a few months ago. I agree with you that they are many variations of different things throughout the years. A lot of times I really don't understand if things were a real change or I am just seeing a picture of something someone has cooked up. Or, if it was a real change, why they made that change. When you throw in the many years of production, years of service, location of service, regular Army or TA, branch of service, 12/24 volt, and maybe after MOD modifications, ..like I told Andy..I stay confused!!!!! Now I only have one actual example to look at but thank goodness, it has not been messed with too much. You guys who have actually seen or maybe owned a number of Lightweights are really a wealth of knowledge to me and discussions like this one a real help. I hope I have not bored to many of you. Best regards, Bil

====================================

There are some days you need to see fewer vehicles !!!

In your ramblings you mention page 123 , Lightweight (Ex-Gurkas) 41 KC 50 as seen in December 1997. Well I remember the day very well - because I was stood right next to Mark Cook when he took that photograph at MVS (Lichfield). The area around the hangers was stuffed with Lightweights , but we asked permission to go on to the runway because there had been a arrival of hundreds more all parked in 3 or 4 long rows.

I had every intention of buying one or two that day , but I had to say to Mark and his mate - I can't take all this in , it is just too much to take in - I have a headache that is almost a migraine. However that day I observed a few things I have never forgotten - In one hanger there were hundreds of Rover 4 banger new block castings built up in pyramids , the mate of Mark - IIRC a policeman with a Bedford (from Bedford) said I'am coming back with the truck for a few - I can always use them for flower pots. I thought to myself - next month when I come down I will have the Rover & trailer so will put two in exch tub - next visit every single block had gone - SOLD !!!

Yea that may be overload. You were probably about to blow a fuse!! I am a BIG WWII aircraft fan and I went to the the Dayton, Ohio annual airshow which is the largest in the country as far as WWII aircraft. It was hard to enjoy because I couldn't spend enough time looking at something because I was afraid I would miss something. The closest I have ever had to what you were talking about was when I was 15. I went in an army suplus store and there were barrels of BRAND NEW German mausers. I bought one on time paying about $2 a week until I had paid my $20. I wish I had bought all he could get. I don't think they had ever been fired. At least the one I got had not. Great stories! Thanks for all your help. See attached pic I found last night. Best regards, Bil

Caption: "Ground crewmen prepare to extend the nose ramp of a Military Airlift Command C-5B Galaxy aircraft in preparation for offloading British LAND ROVERS at Grootfontein Logistics Base. The equipment will be used by Finnish United Nations troops which will act as a peacekeeping force in Namibia. Camera Operator: MSGT BILL THOMPSON Date Shot: 8 Apr 1989 "

Land_rovers_offloading.jpg

As a ramble and to further muddy the water - those wings/lights were invariably the first thing to get whacked on exercise. THE REME LAD units who fixed them in the field were not overly bothered which way round they went back on so we had S3 lightweights up at Chelsea with consecutive ID's - and some were amber over white whilst others were white over amber.

The O/C only ever insisted they all get changed to be the same just once - when we had VIP guests.

Your front lights - bedtime reading :-

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

Riveting - you will probably not be interested in the rears.

I knew this discussion was going to prove productive. I did read the above and while I admit to a yawn or two I did get reminded that I need to get new wiper blades and a couple of other parts. Question: I see "Screen wiper blade- PRC 1330" on the Parts list. Being in the States when I say I want a Land Rover part, the people at the parts house eyes begin to glaze over, then when I say for a military land rover they turn and begin to walk away and when I say that it is a 1974, they say "NEXT"!!! First question is I was wondering if the replacement blades for a Lightweight Series III are the same as for a civy Series III and next whether they are or not, what internet parts house(s) do you guys use most often? I know you probably have four or five vehicles for spares just around the block, but if you have to use the net, where do you go? I need a couple of small parts that really will not weigh much so shipping probably will cost slightly less than my next hernia operation, so, I might, be able to afford it!!:) Best regards, Bil

Wiper blades , most you see by vendors or on eBay for £2.50 to £3 are going to be Chinese manuf. poor copies - probably all from the same factory. You will pay far more for a genuine Land Rover parts black or stainless steel finish , compare the construction of of the metal parts of a Chinese copy to a Rover (or OEM "Trico") and there is a big difference (for starter the copy does not have the reinforcement strip at the hinge pin). Does the rubber perform as well against the real thing - a cheap enough experiment to try yourself .... Probably the only fair performance test would be on new glass

Beware of any Chinese fast mover part........ Or any Chinese part .......

Genuine Rover parts will be expensive , those sold as genuine Trico are more or less now unobtainium due to foreign dumping ,,,,,,,,