Another Rover 8ffr

lozzaboy

as there's at least 2 others on here I thought I'd thought i'd better share mine a bit more on here lol :-) owned it since about 2001, it was on the road but had a mixed bag of front seats up front along with a large square heater thats kicked out loads of heat (everyone who sat in the front soon fell asleep lol) bench seats in the rear, G90 tyres on the rear and something else, cant remember what on the front and a xcl for the spare all on standard l/r rims and a civvy spec canvas, apart from a coat of Nato green paint on the outside (inside was still orginal but really worn and dirty DBG) and tracking down the radio fittings for the rear it was kept like this and taken to Duxford and the London to Brighton run that year, as and when I could i set about finding and fitting the correct parts like the ffr canvas, rifle brackets and clips, jerry can holder etc, after a blown tyre I managed to et hold of some 7.50 Goodyear extragrips which later where transfered to split rims after i was able to track some down, had them shot blasted and repainted, in about 2004 I took it off the road when I decided to do some major work on it, firstly was changing the gearbox for one from ebay as the orginal was rattling everywhere and jumping out of 2nd and 3rd (still got it to rebuild one day) cylinder head was replaced with a unleaded one, did hope to have the orginal one reused but had a crack in it, front swivel housings rebuilt and front and rear axle cleaned up and repainted, also been tracking down larkspur radio sets for the rear, only got half a C13 set and man pack A41 so far, gave the exterior a new coat of Nato green and added a few markings I had seen on pics of Rover 8's (including my old sqn tac plate, 63 sqn RAF Regt) ant the interior (not quite right as it turned out :-( ) DBG, the electrics did work but the rear had been bodged horriedly with trailer loom so left it until i took a chance on a 24 volt series 2 loom that came up on ebay, had a look at it and reckon it should fit, I say should as it's currently in the hands of a auto electrician to fit (proper old school electrician whos quite keen to get it done too) not many pics I'm afraid of the work but a few at least

2affr (16).jpg

2affr.jpg

2affr (1).jpg

2affr (2).jpg

2affr (45).jpg

2affr (17).jpg

2affr (42).jpg

2affr (44).jpg

more 2a ffr 028.jpg

2affr (46).jpg

yer 006.jpg

cheers mate, I'll admit its no nut and bolt restoration and only been able to work on it at weekends back home but certainly didnt want to rush it and end up having to go over things again, also just wanted it to have that "in service" look about it too

cheers mate, I'll admit its no nut and bolt restoration and only been able to work on it at weekends back home but certainly didnt want to rush it and end up having to go over things again, also just wanted it to have that "in service" look about it too

Quite right too! You can't rush something of beauty it has to be slowly nurtured.....You have achieved the look you wanted so well done indeed.

I have aquired a better than my first purchased Rover Mk 8 (57EK34)and hope to be adding photos in due course when I can get chance to visit her (92EL57), where she is kept at present.

I know Merlin and I will be loading more pics up as we progress with our restorations, no doubts at differing paces!

Couldn't type that day.... ERN is 93EL57..... Doh!

Regards

Edited by Rover8FFR
error

cheers for all the comments guys :-) hopefully I'll get over to the sparky who's gonna fit the new loom this week and see if he's been able to start on it yet (he's had it a while but didnt want to stop and start on it) and give you all an update on it's progress

Cheers mate, thats is the era I'm aiming for and to here from someone who served and used them at that time is is fantasic :-), all I know is it was built in 1961 and sold off in 1972 (judging from the k plate it was given) the previous owner did write to Beverley when it was still open but unfortunatly they had no information on the history of the vehicle so at least this period is correct for the wagon :-)

• 1 month later...
Cheers mate, thats is the era I'm aiming for and to here from someone who served and used them at that time is is fantasic :-), all I know is it was built in 1961 and sold off in 1972 (judging from the k plate it was given) the previous owner did write to Beverley when it was still open but unfortunatly they had no information on the history of the vehicle so at least this period is correct for the wagon :-)

I had the same joy when I tried to get a copy of my B card some years ago. My older one is a 63, which was demobbed in 71, so hence a K plate also. I am hoping my 66 will be luckier when I get her back home and write to RLC Museum at Deepcut. She's on an N reg. I plan to get them both re-registered for age related plates in due course. Also historic vehicle status and free road tax for 66, albeit 63 on a K still complies! ;)

Very nice "Toasts rack". I remember it from another forum, a few years ago. He was an inspiration for me to find their own Rover 8 FFR.

Jarda

Hey Jarda how are you! Haven't seen an email with photos in my inbox for a while. How's your Rover8 coming along?

Wayne :-D

• 3 weeks later...

I received some current photos of my younger Rover8 FFR Toastie whilst she sits awaiting collection in the very near future.

Couple of jobs to return her back to correct specification, such as cross member, Warner socket etc. But she is essentially a complete vehicles and needs some re-assembling, fixing up.

Gearbox and buklhead need attention as will the outriggers. Just as well I have bought a new Mig welder :cool2:

Once I have her home I will update this thread further. ;)

Of course she will be treated to some DBG, or I may do her in sand (AKA Aden) livery :-D

Regards

Toastie 5.JPG

Toastie 1.jpg

Toastie 2.jpg

Toastie footwell.jpg

Freewheel hubs probably make a little difference on fuel.

Unless you are doing large mileage I doubt you would recover cost of buying new, even with today's fuel prices.

You need to lock them from time to time to ensure oil is splashed around in the hubs to keep bushes and stuff lubricated.

Mike

Hi Wayne. Just noticed your pics. show free wheeling hubs. Do you intend to keep them fitted?

I'm not sure wether to remove them on mine. Do they help with fuel ecom. that much?

Andy they aren't genuine fitment so they will be removed and sold in due course. Along with that nasty rear cross member.

Well happy with what arrived at work today though....What a find on FleaBay! :yay::yay::dancinggirls::dancinggirls::banana::banana:

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

Freewheel hubs probably make a little difference on fuel.

Unless you are doing large mileage I doubt you would recover cost of buying new, even with today's fuel prices.

You need to lock them from time to time to ensure oil is splashed around in the hubs to keep bushes and stuff lubricated.

Mike

I find freewheel hubs make around a 3mpg saving with a petrol, no difference with the diesel.

Speed-wise and response-wise, oh boy! I found with a petrol, not too much difference, but the 2.25 diesel, it would knock 12mph off the top speed when the hubs were in!!

Theres a lot of extra metal churning around. And, yes, the steering is noticeably lighter in both instances!!

Just my tuppence-worth anyway.........

Alec.

Clive

She's mine and I will oggle her wherever and whenever I want thank you! :cool2:

I am sure the rectifier and control box will be treated to some outdoor pursuits on 26th! ;)

Great news it arrived Jarda, after the last episode....Nice piece of kit isn't it?.......Drool, Drool.....