Striker resto help needed

xtreme

I am wanting to replicate the striker in this picture . the louvered box on all sides with the black arrow does anyone know anything about it . I think I know what its used for but would like dimensions or better pics so I can make replicas .

cheers Danny

• 2 weeks later...

this is the exterior look I want to achieve on my striker . I have noticed they have cut away the flat plate the runs along the angled section of the armour.also does it look like its been dieseled if not what is the side box on the side of the hull under were the petrol exhaust is.

does anyone know what those mesh baskets are of that are on both sides of the hull .

Thanks Dan

Fv102_striker desert.jpg

Fv102_striker.jpg

Dan,

It is a diesel and that is the air intake on the side of the hull. The angled bracket running around the hull was for the wading screen, which would have been removed in the 80s. Sometimes the brackets were cut off, sometimes they weren't.

Chris

Thanks chris I am learning fast . And glad you confirmed my thoughts as cut that plate of today . What diesel engine do they put in them and how easy is it to get that side vent . not that I would be converting it any time soon .

cheers Dan

Dan,

You won't be able to convert it to a diesel, the engine is a Cummins 6BTA but you need to do extensive work to the engine, hull, gearbox, bulkheads, radiator, replace the fan etc etc in order to fit one. I have never seen one of those intakes for sale, I guess you could make one, but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Chris

Mike,

Have you tried buying this stuff? I've had a quick look around and can't see anywhere that sells it. I guess it's due to the hexavalent Chrome, which is not good for you!

Chris

http://shop.oval.co.uk/epages/62071729.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62071729/Categories/Primers

http://www.shopzilla.co.uk/7Y_-_cat_id--16695__keyword--zinc+primer

Edited by antarmike

Thanks chris I am learning fast . And glad you confirmed my thoughts as cut that plate of today . What diesel engine do they put in them and how easy is it to get that side vent . not that I would be converting it any time soon .

cheers Dan

Andrew Baker is the only person I know of that has done a private diesel conversion (on his Scimitar). It was a LOT of work, including scratch building new bulkheads, firewalls etc..

If you are really interested PM me and I'll send you his number..

I was under the impression that some of the later vehicles were built without the wading plate in the first place, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong..

I was under the impression that some of the later vehicles were built without the wading plate in the first place, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong..

The RAF vehicles (AT and AY registrations) weren't built with the wading screen, but they were built in the early 80s when it was being removed from the rest of them.

Chris

Hi,I have seen the AT ex-RAF Regiment plate about on C.V.R.(T)s,but not the AY type is it a rare one?

I've seen it on an RAF Bomb Disposal Spartan.

This is getting a bit off topic, but nevermind!

45133021.jpg

45113065.jpg

Edited by sirhc