Tank fire on the M20

Markheliops

Hi all.

A certain wheeled armoured vehicle caught fire on the M20 yesterday whilst I presume on route to or from a show.

It happened near to junction 4.

I am happy to report there were no injuries to the owner and damage was minor and confined to the engine compartment.

A timely reminder to ensure you have a working fire extinguisher with you when travelling in your pride and joy - either that or wear your running shoes!!!

Sorry - I am unable to give out any further details.

Regards

Markheliops

I had an oil pipe burst once on my Humber A/C spraying the exhaust manifold with oil.

The smoke screen it put down was very impressive and we all bailed out in a hurry thinking it was about to blow.

Luckily very little damage.

Don't relie on the old British Army Fire extinguishers as fitted to Land Rovers and similar because they are designed for use in enclosed areas where a blanket of gas can build up. I tried using one on Ferret Carburetor Fire one and it just fanned the flames.

Had this happen with the WC54 on the way to normandy last year oil line had chafed through on the dipstick and sprayed oil over the head onto the exhaust manifold among other places, we were carrying one extinguisher in the cab, one in the back and two in the following jeep, and the small fire on the manifold was soon out but with a lovely chink noise as the manifold cracked in two.

Still i'd rather pay the £400 quid for the new manifold than for a whole new vehicle, and if you think we were carrying too many extinguishers then when were your's last serviced or how old are they? Had to help some one out at the side of the road once as his extinguisher was older than he'd admit and refused to work beyond a slow drizzle, come to think of it he never offered to replace it for me, oh well.

Don't relie on the old British Army Fire extinguishers as fitted to Land Rovers and similar because they are designed for use in enclosed areas where a blanket of gas can build up. I tried using one on Ferret Carburetor Fire one and it just fanned the flames.

I wouldn't rely on them at all, of the three we got with our vehicle from Withams only one tested good. At least we have a Health and Safety dept with budget to buy new ones, though they never replaced the one that went off when the pin got caught in a cam net :blush:

Stone

I know this may sound daft, but a cheapo Dry Powder, sprayed up and tucked away, isn't the end of the world. Lidl do them for around a tenner on their weekly special offers. Yes, it's not original kit, but better than your motor going up in flames.

it was us on the Fox but the M20 was not shutdown or lanes closed i used all three dry powder extinguishers so no problems there ;) only 5% fire damage recorded so hopefully i can get the fox up and running

for my part i made a stupid mistake i should have checked the belts before setting off but didnt - the water pump bely had come off - lesson learned :(