Fox generator belt

markbg

Hi

as some of you know i pushed the Fox a bit hard at the weekend due to distance tra elled to headcorn so it rather petulantly punished my by chewing irs generator belt to pieces - does anyone know what i need to order or a good supplier i could ask? Im assuming o'll need a modern belt equivalent as old spares are likely to be pretty dried out by now ?

cheers

Mark B

Mark,

The belt is a standard size, you should be able to get one easily from a commercial vehicle spares dealer. Do not buy an NOS belt as it's probably been sitting around for 20 years.

Chris

hi - do you know the size i should ask for? id rather get a new one if possible - ive got an engine winch on the way so should be able to do this at the weekend - mayhem will not be possible though which is a shame :(

Replacing the belts is a fairly easy job (for a Fox!) and should only take a couple of hours. You need to disconnect the flexy coupling on the exhaust, remove the bolts from the spine of the engine deck. Hook the rear armour up to the crane, take out the bolts and lift it out the way. The heat exchanger bolts through the fan pack, remove that first and we usually stick a block of wood under the heat exchanger to keep it in the same place. Thre are 2 bolts connecting the fan pack to the top of the engine, and 8 or so at the bottom. You can slide the fan pack off the drive coupling and rest it on the floor. Assemble in reverse order.

While you have it in bits, you should replace all 3 belts. The numbers I have for them are:

Generator: 249D

Steering: 390H 341

Fan: 345L 137

Chris

Having had our fan assembly in and out a whack of times because of *@$ issues its really quite simple just abit tedious when you are doing it for the umpteenth time!

We use an engine crane with a double legged chain with hooks on the end, the clip onto a couple of pieces of angle iron with small blocks of steel stock so that they hold the outer edges of the fan volutes.

Once we put a tiny bit of tension on that assembly we undo the required fasteners. I find the stays that connect to the engine block are the most awkward.

For assembly we made up an alingment tool.

I have been meaning to post pictures of all our gizmos, one day!

R

Hi ive managed to get some belts from banisters in the short term but i doubt ill have time to fit them by next saturday in time for odyssey - will it damage the fox to drive it without the generator belt on?

i know it wont charge the batteries but i have a starter in case the batteries die

cheers

Mark B

I would say that two people can pull the rear armour off and have the fan assy out and back in during a 3 hour period, maybe not the first time but one sure gets a heck of a lot quicker the more times you do it, really one night after work should sort it.

Why mess around with a dying set of batteries?

R

Hi ive managed to get some belts from banisters in the short term but i doubt ill have time to fit them by next saturday in time for odyssey - will it damage the fox to drive it without the generator belt on?

i know it wont charge the batteries but i have a starter in case the batteries die

cheers

Mark B

Weather may be bad & you would need your headlights, that would drain your batteries quickly.