Airportable jimmy

mullvane

Hi all, thought it was about time that I uploaded a few pics of our current vehicle that we (me and my dad) are restoring, an airportable GMC, the pictures show it when it was delievered to us, if anyone is interested I will upload some more photos

Jack

100_0815.jpg

100_0828_00.jpg

100_0822_00.jpg

100_0818_00.jpg

Airportable GMC  tipper.jpg

100_0821_00.jpg

100_0816_00.jpg

Edited by mullvane

That's an unusual cab canvas you have there, never seen one like that before. Novel way of stopping the roof sagging too, :D if you want the correct straps try Allied Forces, Martin and Jim are both on here from time to time.

Thanks for your comments, although i'm not sure what straps you mean? You say you have not seen a canvas like this before, as far as we are concerned the back curtain on the cab is original, please enlighten us

Jack

It appears from your photo that the sides and top extend backwards under the maintarp on the body, but from your comments I assume this is an optical illusion caused by camera angle and canvas colours. There should be two straps from the rear support going forward to the top of the windscreen to support the cab roof canvas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, here are a few more pictures of the work we did to the GMC in the winter months and also our first show at Ipswich in the jimmy, this winter it will be a case of getting the cargo bed off and getting the winch and tipper mechanism to work and repairing the cab floor

Jack

pencil.png

100_1072.jpg

100_1070.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1071.jpg

Airportable GMC.jpg

100_1068.jpg

100_1067.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Mullvane, very pleased to see pictures of your jimmy. I have one exactly the same model and similar condition up here in Inverness. I have enclosed some pic's of it's arrival from Belgium to Edinburgh Dec '09. Also some photo's after a little work, tyres, canvas, electrics, transferbox, brakes etc. Still lots to do. Do you know of any other Airborne Tippers in the U.K. ? Regards David Robertson.

GMC Airborne Tipper 001.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 029.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 024.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 004.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 028.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 030.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 025.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 027.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 026.jpg

GMC Airborne Tipper 010.jpg

Hi David Robertson, thanks for uploading the pictures of your GMC, have to admit yours looks very nice. I believe that there is another Airportable tipper in this country ( but fitted with a closed cab) on milweb, but apart from that one i don't know of any others.

Am I right in thinking your GMC was an ex Dutch vehicle? Also what was the wiring like in your cab? As ours looks like a "birds nest"(!). What is the serial number of your truck?

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Hi David Robertson, thanks for uploading the pictures of your GMC, have to admit yours looks very nice. I believe that there is another Airportable tipper in this country ( but fitted with a closed cab) on milweb, but apart from that one i don't know of any others.

Am I right in thinking your GMC was an ex Dutch vehicle? Also what was the wiring like in your cab? As ours looks like a "birds nest"(!). What is the serial number of your truck?

Jack

Hi Jack, i have known about the hard cab Airborne Tipper for a couple of years. There maybe a couple more in the UK. Yes my truck is ex Dutch Army, it was then in the Johan Dieffenbach collection for a number of years, then in the hands of another collector in Belgium, then to me. Being ex Dutch it has the same wiring as yours i imagine, extra fuses below dash on drivers side and a different lighting system from standard. If you need a copy of the Dutch wiring diagram PM me as i have one being sent over from a friend in Holland. On my truck i plan to leave the wiring as it is for the moment, that includes leaving the indicators on the brushguard, i see you have removed them from your truck if you do not plan to use them would you like to sell them ? I had to rob one of the indicators from a NEKAF Jeep for my truck and need to replace it, regards David.

Hi Jack, i have known about the hard cab Airborne Tipper for a couple of years. There maybe a couple more in the UK. Yes my truck is ex Dutch Army, it was then in the Johan Dieffenbach collection for a number of years, then in the hands of another collector in Belgium, then to me. Being ex Dutch it has the same wiring as yours i imagine, extra fuses below dash on drivers side and a different lighting system from standard. If you need a copy of the Dutch wiring diagram PM me as i have one being sent over from a friend in Holland. On my truck i plan to leave the wiring as it is for the moment, that includes leaving the indicators on the brushguard, i see you have removed them from your truck if you do not plan to use them would you like to sell them ? I had to rob one of the indicators from a NEKAF Jeep for my truck and need to replace it, regards David.

Hi David,

yes the wiring on your truck sounds very similar to ours. If you want all four or a pair make me an offer for them and we can take it from there. Obviously there will have to be postage on top of that

Regards

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...