what may be fitted between the seats on a lightweight?

tinweasle

On my lightweight there looks to have been two brackets of some type fitted between the driver and passinger seat, you can see where the paint has rubbed off, ignore the big holes they are probably for speakers.

010.jpg

009.jpg

The marks left make me think they were the same width as the SLR mount and used the same holes to bolt on the bulkhead, at the bottom of the bulkhead there are also two holes which dont seem to have a use (not the ones for fixing the bottom of the seat back) which may or may not have anything to do with anything! Also being in the hands of the SAS from 85 to 92 probably means it could be anything.

Any idears anybody?

Cheers

Shaun

spacer.gif

No help I am afraid. I never saw anything mounted in that location. What I would do personally is replace the part with a new one with neither the gert big speaker holes nor the ones you ask about.

TBH I cannot see picture in my mind how you could mount an SLR there, but it never concerned me because as RAC everybody had an SMG and we'd just bung it behind the seat, to be collected when we dismounted. Besides, you are talking about a lightweight: we only ever had LWB apart from a runaround or two in UNFICYP.

Mmm so nobody has come across anything like this then? That just makes me want to know more :D

TBH I cannot see picture in my mind how you could mount an SLR there

I don't see that what ever went there would have been any form of gun inless it was mounted verticaly, I was thinking more about a radio or some such but I have no idea that sort of mount would bolt to those holes or leave those markes?

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Is your Landi a 24v or 12v? Never seen or heard of any radio kit fitted in that spot (all a bit big for that) I have seen a couple of Airportable's with SLR mounts there but with different brackets under the mount itself. This pic. is the set up in mine 24v. and the SLR fits a treat. A pic. with a bit more of the bulk top between the seats may help folks to help you.

Andy.

2010_0726Smokey0001.jpg

Mine is a 12v, the brackets you can see me holding in place are the correct SLR ones for a lightweight just to give an idea of scale and will go back on when I get around to fitting a sheet of alu over the speaker holes, I did wonder if it may have had somthing like a 349 or 350 clansman fitted between the seats, but I'm comming to the conclusion that probably I wont find out what was there as its past is a bit hard to track down and inless I happen to bump into one of them and they feel inclined to tell me I wont ever find out :-\ I will try and get another pic tomorrow

Of course being a 12v I have no Idea what to do with my unitary radio table but that is another story :-D

Hi. Never seen any bracket for a 349 only webbing kit. 350's, there was is a mount but it is fitted to the front wing.

Ok, just an Idea. I dont think I will ever find out what was there, but in this photo

A = Random hole, there is one both sides the other is hidden

B = For bottom of the seat back

C = Shows the rough size and position of one of the now missing brackets, the outline of the other can just be made out by the marks where the paint has rubbed off under the other rifle mount.

99.jpg?t=1280265151

Cheers again

Shaun

colud it be the mounting bracket holes for the water can carrier?

Mark

Mark

Are you thinking of the one that straddles the shunt box in a 109 FFR? HAve one to do up and fit in my 109.

Not sure if the panel would allow one of them to fit (angle differences and all that stuff).

Shaun

If I rember correctly I am just down the road from you. If you want to pop round and see if the holes would line up you are more than welcome.

Mike

If I rember correctly I am just down the road from you. If you want to pop round and see if the holes would line up you are more than welcome.

Sorry I have taken a while to get back to you but, yes if that's ok with you it would be good to have a look just let me know when is good for you.

Sorry I have taken a while to get back to you but, yes if that's ok with you it would be good to have a look just let me know when is good for you.

Shaun

Will PM my address and phone number.

Have not got much planned so should be in most evenings or weekends.

Hopefully working on the Landy

Sunday 1st August is out though as I am off upto Old Warden for the air display.

Mike

• 4 years later...
Hi Shaun. Is your Landi a 24v or 12v? Never seen or heard of any radio kit fitted in that spot (all a bit big for that) I have seen a couple of Airportable's with SLR mounts there but with different brackets under the mount itself. This pic. is the set up in mine 24v. and the SLR fits a treat. A pic. with a bit more of the bulk top between the seats may help folks to help you.

Andy.[/

Weapon holder for SMG folded down.

Seen a SMG that dropped out off the weapon holder and dropped on to the 2 radio batteries in the rear of the vehicle.

SMG was welded to the side of the Land rover and a two inch hole in the SMG magazine.

Just as well we had no live rounds.

Sean Mc Cargo

• 1 month later...