New tyre laws 2012

New tyre laws will see the end of cheap "Chinese" tyres in this country, and all new tyres will be more expensive. Why? New tyres will have to have information about wet braking, rolling resistance, etc, on a picture based system similar to energy efficiency marks on white goods.

http://uk.autoblog.com/2010/07/16/are-you-and-your-tyres-ready-for-2012/?icid=main|uk-ws-bb|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fuk.autoblog.com%2F2010%2F07%2F16%2Fare-you-and-your-tyres-ready-for-2012%2F

Edited by antarmike

They like to make things hard and complicated don't they.

All seems a waste of time to me as most people these days seem to think tyre pressure is something you get when your foot is run over.

Some people also believe the wear indicator is when the canvas shows.

I supppose they will change the MOT to say you must have the same rating on all wheels (and the spare).

They could do something far more useful for mee and many of us.

A nice symbol to show you haow long it takes before your tyres fall apart from the elements, when you are not going to wear them out.

Minimum tyre live on my car is 5 years, the Land Rover is bound to be much longer

Mike

They like to make things hard and complicated don't they.

All seems a waste of time to me as most people these days seem to think tyre pressure is something you get when your foot is run over.

Some people also believe the wear indicator is when the canvas shows.

I supppose they will change the MOT to say you must have the same rating on all wheels (and the spare).

They could do something far more useful for mee and many of us.

A nice symbol to show you haow long it takes before your tyres fall apart from the elements, when you are not going to wear them out.

Minimum tyre live on my car is 5 years, the Land Rover is bound to be much longer

Mike

I bought Michelin XCL's for my Land Rover in 2001 that were studded from Canada. They were like new but god knows how long they had been around. I had to change them this year as the tyres started cracking up. They still had 50% tread so it was a bummer, but 9 years on the vehicle isn't bad for £200 quid!!!:-D

9 years is pretty good especially as you did not know the actual age.

We better keep quite about buying used tyres in case somebody cottons on and bans them.

I know of atleast 2 people who have bought used cars and had a problem with the state of the spare due to rubber deteriation. One case when someone went to change the wheel (due to puncture) the spare wheel came out but most of the tyre stayed behind. Suspect it had done a few miles with no air at some stage.

Mike

A lot of tyres are no longer available as new noise regulations came into operation in March. Imports of a lot of off road tyres in particular have ceased as manufacturers are not prepared to spend on alterations to make them conform when they can sell them elsewhere with no restrictions. No doubt a lot of these will come in through the back door eventually but by then I suppose plod will have the necessary measuring gear available to make sure they can nick you. This noise restriction is bound to apply to most of the tyres on vehicles

used by us so yet another back door way of getting old MV's off the road.

Luckily having a Series Land Rover means the tyre noise is drowned out by the transmission whine.:D

Do you think they will do something similar for car radios, those are really annoying especially the rubbish they listen to.

Mike

Usual stuff dreampt up by people who probably don't have a car or don't pay for the one they drive! Probably being brought in as a protectionist measure, but will just cost everyone lots of money, and in the end the "cheap Chinese imports" will conform in every respect to the new legislation, but will be far more expensive because they'll have all the right markings. Great idea!

My experience of tyres has been varied, with very expensive Michelins sometimes lasting less than 12000 miles, and cheap budgets occasionally lasting and performing well. The worst problem currently is damage to tyres of all makes from potholes, either causing instant deflation, or serious damage to the tyre structure causing poor handling, and possible sudden failure at a later time.

Perhaps the money wasted on the proposed changes could be spent better on the roads which are becoming dangerous to use through lack of proper repair?

Jules

Usual stuff dreampt up by people who probably don't have a car or don't pay for the one they drive! Probably being brought in as a protectionist measure, but will just cost everyone lots of money, and in the end the "cheap Chinese imports" will conform in every respect to the new legislation, but will be far more expensive because they'll have all the right markings. Great idea!

My experience of tyres has been varied, with very expensive Michelins sometimes lasting less than 12000 miles, and cheap budgets occasionally lasting and performing well. The worst problem currently is damage to tyres of all makes from potholes, either causing instant deflation, or serious damage to the tyre structure causing poor handling, and possible sudden failure at a later time.

Perhaps the money wasted on the proposed changes could be spent better on the roads which are becoming dangerous to use through lack of proper repair?

Jules

Exactly, common sense and obvious to anybody that lives in the real world but these faceless mandarins don't meet either of these conditions.:argh:

There was one of the srious TV motoring shows did a series of in depth tyre tests some time back. The 'Budget' tyres tested came out best! theres the problem. EU based companies putting pressure on.

Did they test braking distances in the wet, I doubt it, because when budget tyres are tested this is where they always fail even when they are an exact copy of one of the big manufacturers tread pattern.

Did they test braking distances in the wet, I doubt it, because when budget tyres are tested this is where they always fail even when they are an exact copy of one of the big manufacturers tread pattern.

Yes Degsey they did as I remember. The whole result was as much a shock to the presenters as the rest. As for major manufacturer's tyre in the wet, the Micheilin X comes to mind. I had Renault 4's for a long time. great vehicles for anyone with horses, provided they wern't on Michelins! Those tyres felt like driving on glass. Semperit or Kliber you could drive them up a wall. Do you remember ESSO tyres? they were 'budgwet' and work extremly well.

Hi Tony, yes I well remember Michelin X and agree they were lethal in the wet but that was in the sixties and we are talking present day, there is no comparison. Can't say I do remember Esso budgets but then there are a lot of things I don't remember. Back in those days I used to get my tyres free in return for a monthly report on wear, performance etc.

Degsey, get back in the job mate! I'm trying to get a modern 50/50 tyre for the Dodge but the new sizes confuse me. What would be the profile of a 9 x 16. I know what it is, the ratio of width of tread to the height from the centre, just not what the *&^%$%$ one should be for a Dodge type tyre? It's obviously going to get a more pressing problem as time goes by for all of us.

Just had another thought I they finally going to make tyre sizes completely metric, just to make life more fun,

Never quite understand why width is in millimetres and the diameter is in inches.:confused:

Mike

Just had another thought I they finally going to make tyre sizes completely metric, just to make life more fun,

Never quite understand why width is in millimetres and the diameter is in inches.:confused:

Mike

I hope they leave the sizings alone... I understand the current system!!!

Degsey, get back in the job mate! I'm trying to get a modern 50/50 tyre for the Dodge but the new sizes confuse me. What would be the profile of a 9 x 16. I know what it is, the ratio of width of tread to the height from the centre, just not what the *&^%$%$ one should be for a Dodge type tyre? It's obviously going to get a more pressing problem as time goes by for all of us.

Lots of talk re 9 x 16 equivalents on the 101FC Forum - generally accepted view is that 255/100 x 16 is the same profile as a 900.

John

Degsey, Katy the WC54 has Norwegian Clover leaf, and Bodge has been singing there prasies. As the Volvo may only be critically ill, not quite dead,( it shredded the cam belt on Monday morning! :blush: but the cams still move and it was low speed so may have got away with it). I will hopefully be back in the market for some. I've one usable NDT left in stock at the moment, so if I change type I'll need five for mine plus one for Katy, one of hers has bulged. Six lottery numbers would also be a great help. :-D

Next stupid question, anyone know anywhere in UK that can actually supply the type?

John is right the 101 has the same size. I was perhaps a bit to genourous when I sold mine, I let two spare NDT go with it!

But as Degsey said about the rim angles, are the type for a 101 going to fit properly on the Dodge rims? The clover leaf don't seem to have a problem.

Edited by Tony B