fox using gears as handbrake

markbg

Question

hi - well im a bit surprised today - i stopped the engine on the fox today but forgot to change it to neutral - i expected that the fox would roll back on the slope but it didnt move?? i didnt think i could use the gears like on a car to stop the vehicle rolling e.g. on an upward slope i can put the fox in first gear - switch off engine and it doesnt move - so why not do this all the time as i dont trust the hand brake bands to hold the fox?

will this cause any damage parking the fox in gear?

Edited by markbg

12 answers to this question

Not the gears holding the vehicle... sounds like you have a sticking brake.. go for a run then feel the calipers to see if any are hot... it won't be the hand brake that's sticking, if it was you would not be able to see where you were going for the smoke in the cab..

Just hope someone hasn't put brake fluid in the system... I'm an expert at these brakes now :nut:

To see what damage brake fluid can do to an MV that takes OM13 read http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?13361-Stalwart-braking-system-amp-other-bits

will this cause any damage parking the fox in gear?

Always park with the Fox in gear..

Edited by Marmite!!

hi - no its mot a sticking brake as if i apply the footbrake the vehicle stops rolling if i release the foot brake the vehicle rolls freely - if i leave in gear and switch off the vehicle stays in place ??

Sounds like it could be a problem with the fluid flywheel then :shocked:

Sounds like it could be a problem with the fluid flywheel then :shocked:

Lee...now you have me worried.

Until I fixed my handbrake, I used to do exactly as Mark is doing. I does not lock the wheels up, but certainly stops it rolling freely on a level or very slight slopes.

It does make me think though, as my understanding of the fluid flywheel is that there is little or no drive transferred at very low (ie zero) engine revs? So the engine should not be holding it?

Mick

So the engine should not be holding it?

Mick

That's how I understand it, wouldn't have thought the flywheel had enough drag to stop the Fox rolling freely, my Fox rolls when out of gear.. I suggested Mark may have a flywheel problem as he's been having a problem in that area.. if it overheated maybe the vanes have warped & locked together or catching?? maybe Chris or Richard would have a better understanding of this..

That's how I understand it, wouldn't have thought the flywheel had enough drag to stop the Fox rolling freely, my Fox rolls when out of gear.. I suggested Mark may have a flywheel problem as he's been having a problem in that area.. if it overheated maybe the vanes have warped & locked together or catching?? maybe Chris or Richard would have a better understanding of this..

Hmm but if you engage a gear surely the band tightens on the drum but as there is no power the vehicle is stopped from rolling? in other words if the gear box cant move nor can the vehicle?

Hmm but if you engage a gear surely the band tightens on the drum but as there is no power the vehicle is stopped from rolling? in other words if the gear box cant move nor can the vehicle?

But the coulpling between the engine & gearbox is "Fluid" & as far as I understand if the engine is not running there should be no drag

The brake bands just control which set of epicyclic gears are engaged, so I would have thought it would still allow the wheels to turn. Usually when you leave a vehicle in gear you are relying on the weight/momentum of the vehicle not being enough to turn the engine over. With the fluid flywheel, the flywheel needs to be turning quickly in order to have any effect on the engine.

If the box is left with a low gear engaged, the resistance of the oil in the flywheel and geartrain, coupled with a certain amount of wind up between front and rear wheels, could be enough to stop the Fox from rolling, although doubt it would hold on anything but a gradual slope. Best rely on the handbrake, which is quite efficient if set up correctly and in good order.

:-)