Motor Caravan

LoggyDriver

I have a 26ft 6.8 ton Fleetwood Flair RV My mate has one 34ft we both pay £168 per year.

£168, that's an odd number, sure it's not £165? If it's the same price as PHGV then I might consider making a Motor caravan out of the truck:cool2: and get it tested as a Class 4.

My mistake typing error Yes £165. Lot of years ago a had a motorhome based on 7.5 ton Leyland roadrunner chassis at that time it was same price as my car but i forget what it was. Both the one i have now and that one were Moted at local Council Depot

Out of intrest I was taliking to someone who is converting a modern bus to a mobile home. he said there is no ingherent problems in getting a big vehicle done.

The beauty of the "motor caravan" route is that it's a class 4 MOT regardless of the vehicles size or weight. There are specific criteria that you need to satisfy, like a minimum 2 ring cooker OR microwave oven, table, chairs that are permanently fixed to the structure, bed, windows in the side etc. getting it re registered as a motor caravan would then make it a motor caravan and not a goods vehicle. So then all you need to do is get a class 4 car mot every year, a lot less strict than an HGV MOT and would save on all the hassel in dealing with VOSA etc.

The beauty of the "motor caravan" route is that it's a class 4 MOT regardless of the vehicles size or weight. There are specific criteria that you need to satisfy, like a minimum 2 ring cooker OR microwave oven, table, chairs that are permanently fixed to the structure, bed, windows in the side etc. getting it re registered as a motor caravan would then make it a motor caravan and not a goods vehicle. So then all you need to do is get a class 4 car mot every year, a lot less strict than an HGV MOT and would save on all the hassel in dealing with VOSA etc.

Unfortunately the "V" word is hard to avoid if your choice of vehicle is manufactured post 1960, and over 3500kg, it will almost certainly go to a VOSA test station, or an approved place where a VOSA vehicle examiner will come to, i.e bus depot or similar.

However as mentioned elsewhere, this year I took my 1964 Mk1 Militant for a class 4 test as a motorhome. Registered as an Historic vehicle for taxation purposes it seems to leave the option open. The tester wasn't sure, but having inspected the box body,which this year is bolted down, and having checked the bed, cooker etc he agreed it was a motorhome. I do have other camping kit on board, such as the generator, 18' x 24' tent, and a few other bits and pieces, which made him suggest it might be a living van; I don't know the definition/difference other than they require an HGV test?? He relented and tested as large class 4, which at £57.30, saved over £60 on the HGV test fee.

Jules

Unfortunately the "V" word is hard to avoid if your choice of vehicle is manufactured post 1960, and over 3500kg, it will almost certainly go to a VOSA test station, or an approved place where a VOSA vehicle examiner will come to, i.e bus depot or similar.

However as mentioned elsewhere, this year I took my 1964 Mk1 Militant for a class 4 test as a motorhome. Registered as an Historic vehicle for taxation purposes it seems to leave the option open. The tester wasn't sure, but having inspected the box body,which this year is bolted down, and having checked the bed, cooker etc he agreed it was a motorhome. I do have other camping kit on board, such as the generator, 18' x 24' tent, and a few other bits and pieces, which made him suggest it might be a living van; I don't know the definition/difference other than they require an HGV test?? He relented and tested as large class 4, which at £57.30, saved over £60 on the HGV test fee.

Jules

Jules,

When you went for the test was it at a VOSA test centre or a commercial vehicle garage able to take the size of the vehicle on a class 4 test? I'm a bit puzzled by your taxation class. If you are testing it as a class 4 "Motor Caravan" then suerly the V5 would need to show the vehicle as a "Motor Caravan" and the tax would reflect this? Not Historic as you mentioned?

Being manufactured pre 1973 and never used commercially, it has only ever been registered as an Historic vehicle since leaving Military service. My late brother bought it 20 years ago, and it's been back on the road since 1998, and tested since then either as an HGV or a Class 4, largely depending on the availability of Class testers. The previous 2 years it's had an HGV test owing to a lack of class tester, this year my local test station has a class tester again.

As it currently has all the required items to be a "Motor caravan", it can be tested as one. If I bolted 30 seats on the back, I could probably call it a bus if it conformed to the required definition, and then have it tested as one, still under the historic class. Using it as a bus commercially, I suspect, would be vastly more complicated.

Jules