CVR(W) Fox Suspension Lubrication

robin craig

Can anyone expand or explain please?

Yep... don't put grease in in any circumstances.. it uses OEP220 as stated in your manuals...

if you put grease in it will not get to the parts that need lubricating...

1 what on earth did they put a grease nipple on there for then, to confuse the enemy??

2 and how do you get the oil in then?

3 How do you get grease out if it has been put in then?

In vehicle maintenance, oil is used in pressure pumps in some appliactions, such as spring shackles, etc. It is not uncommon on military vehicles to use oil where nipples are provided. Oil is pumped into the Fox wishbone as it acts as a resevoir feeding the suspension link pins on a total loss basis. The correct servicing schedules for the vehicles should be familiarised to ensure this sort of thing does not happen. To get rid of the grease from within the wishbone............well it should not happen so no laid down procedure.

So Lee, that begs 3 questions:-

1 what on earth did they put a grease nipple on there for then, to confuse the enemy??

2 and how do you get the oil in then?

3 How do you get grease out if it has been put in then?

R

1. They are oil nipples

2. With an oil gun http://www.lumatic.co.uk/oil-suction-guns.htm

3. Strip them down I believe is the correct way

Hi guys,

Does the same count for the Saracen suspension? I have not picked up anything on that in the manuals, still need to get around to the suspension lubrication but good to know upfront.

Hi Monty,

The Saracen suspension links, steering joints, swivelyokes and torsion bar bearings are all lubricated with gear oil.

Richard

Hi Monty,

The Saracen suspension links, steering joints, swivelyokes and torsion bar bearings are all lubricated with gear oil.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Close call, I was already lining up the grease gun!!!!

Thanks!

Monty.

Hi Richard,

Close call, I was already lining up the grease gun!!!!

Thanks!

Monty.

Just show the importance of having all the correct manuals & studying them before carrying out any maintenance

Our problem was an over enthusiastic helper in the shop while I answered a phone call in the office. It still comes back on me to take responsibility and to fix it.

He meant well but as I was in a scrap on the phone with a supplier on another issue he did what he thought best and went ahead.

R

Just show the importance of having all the correct manuals & studying them before carrying out any maintenance

Hi Lee and Richard,

I just remembered the following:

Suspension bushes replaced with new design Vesco-Nylon bushes reducing maintenance.

I think the lubrication strategy might have to change, I don't have any experience on this.

Monty.

PS. Robin, sorry for hijacking your thread!