am i dreaming or what

cosrec

many years ago around about the mid 70s to late 70s i was looking for a heavy recovery vehicle for our business. my girlfriend (now my long suffering wife of 32 years) father worked on the docks at Goole Yorks. He told me ther was two heavy recovery vehicles stored in packing cases ready to be assembled at a warehouse in North street Goole. He made arrangements and i was taken on to the docks to see a guy whose name i forget now to talk to. I asked him about these vehicles but alas they had been taken away 2 years previosly by a scrap man from north cave. He did mention they had a big winch on them and a big box but no crane as he could remember. His uncle said they came in during the war by the boat load and went to a company down the road called LEP packaging were they were assembled and sent out by train. He also mentioned they said Diamond t on the paper work and the cabs had open tops. I have trawled the net and can find nothing to confirm any of this have i dreamt it all

Edited by cosrec

Don't know if it is the same company but LEP International is a big logistics company that I have known of for years. Could be worth a call to see if they have any history in their archives.

• 3 weeks later...

LEP was very much involved in building up America vehicles from CKD crates during WWII.

I have read that they had a base in Goole so this all adds up,Shame they have gone now!

Pearsons garage in Liverpool was another firm involved in this work.

LEP was very much involved in building up America vehicles from CKD crates during WWII.

I have read that they had a base in Goole so this all adds up,Shame they have gone now!

Pearsons garage in Liverpool was another firm involved in this work.

The man to talk to is David Hayward, he goes on to the MLU Forum. He has researched US and Canadian vehicle imports during WW2 and has mentioned LEP and its role in uncrating and assembly many times on that forum. He also co-wrote a book about Pearson of Liverpool with many brilliant photos from their company archives.

Many thanks for that Richard

Went on site and typed in LEps Goole Diamond T first lead it came up with photo taken outside the very warehouse i spoke to the guy in off North Street in Goole. Going to Go back on site and have another look. Know for sure wasnt dreaming now.