Diamond t 981 hercules engines

Hi There, Can anyone answer a question for me. I took the 981 for a run today and whilst it runs fairly clean by itself, I had a trailer on the back today moving it to temp accomodation and when going up hill or putting the engine under load, it was blowing black smoke.

is it over fuelling?? and if so, how do you adjust it

Thanks

Steve

Hi There, Can anyone answer a question for me. I took the 981 for a run today and whilst it runs fairly clean by itself, I had a trailer on the back today moving it to temp accomodation and when going up hill or putting the engine under load, it was blowing black smoke.

is it over fuelling?? and if so, how do you adjust it

Thanks

Steve

Not a clue, but you deserve at least 1 reply

John.

Steve, My 981 used to run clean until your opened her up or climbed a hill. In all honesty, if your fuel is clean, your filters are good and the power doesn't seem to be lacking, i wouldn't worry too much.

Remember, its not a modern diesel and a lot of the old boys used to say "If there's nothing coming out, you haven't got enough going in !"

DR

Steve, My 981 used to run clean until your opened her up or climbed a hill. In all honesty, if your fuel is clean, your filters are good and the power doesn't seem to be lacking, i wouldn't worry too much.

Remember, its not a modern diesel and a lot of the old boys used to say "If there's nothing coming out, you haven't got enough going in !"

DR

Hi steve, sorry I have missed this thread until now!

I would tend to agree with Desert rat on this one. My experience of the hercules is that it smokes when cold, which clears up when up to temperature and when put under load it is not uncommon to get a substantial amount of black smoke.

There is footage of the Wynns Diamond T's working hard, pre-cummins era and they were kicking out plenty of smoke under load.

Any ideas on what is your fuel consumption like of late?

A

Hi steve, sorry I have missed this thread until now!

I would tend to agree with Desert rat on this one. My experience of the hercules is that it smokes when cold, which clears up when up to temperature and when put under load it is not uncommon to get a substantial amount of black smoke.

There is footage of the Wynns Diamond T's working hard, pre-cummins era and they were kicking out plenty of smoke under load.

Any ideas on what is your fuel consumption like of late?

A

Hi Adrain

Thanks for your post, I am looking to move the DT and trailer next week again from its temp storage so I might try and get some footage of the smoke screen and you can let me know what you think

Cheers

Steve

P.S. thanks to JOHN for the post, I looked for you at Smallwood today but you must have been out walking

Hi Adrain

Thanks for your post, I am looking to move the DT and trailer next week again from its temp storage so I might try and get some footage of the smoke screen and you can let me know what you think

Cheers

Steve

P.S. thanks to JOHN for the post, I looked for you at Smallwood today but you must have been out walking

We came home last night, thought you were going on Sunday not Monday ?

hi ,maccdt, sorry for not contacting you before but for the last two months every time i click on this site it,s been locking up my computer, the trouble maybe that you are overloading the engine. the hercules was not the best engine in the world, but by shifting perhaps first on the transfer box and then on the main box and keeping the rev,s to 1600 you will probably cure the problem, when i had my first rogers trailer i had the same problem, so when she went down to 1200 rev,s i changed down to keep up the rev,s it cured the problem. let me know if this helps, all the best tony graves.

hi ,maccdt, sorry for not contacting you before but for the last two months every time i click on this site it,s been locking up my computer, the trouble maybe that you are overloading the engine. the hercules was not the best engine in the world, but by shifting perhaps first on the transfer box and then on the main box and keeping the rev,s to 1600 you will probably cure the problem, when i had my first rogers trailer i had the same problem, so when she went down to 1200 rev,s i changed down to keep up the rev,s it cured the problem. let me know if this helps, all the best tony graves.

Thanks for your advice Tony, I will try that this weekend and let you know how i get on.

Steve