Desert Sand Paint

LoggyDriver

'Autopaint' of Lowford Hill, Burseldon, Hampshire will mix it up for you in any qty, and you can specify which finish/system you want, two-pack/cellulose/water-base/synthetic,and they are very reasonably priced...and they do aerosols too:D

Protegalac Containergard from Smith and Allan dries a satin finish and is very hard wearing, its an Alkyd based paint, costs £35 for 5 litres and the 1006 thinners is approx £16 for 5 litres, that was last years prices, and the p&p was £6.

The data sheet recommended spray or brush, brush for smaller areas, although i done my Pig and trailer using brush only and am very pleased with the end result.

The landrovers sent out on Granby as used by the RAF Tactical Communications Wing were sprayed Light Stone, the reason i remember the colour was we talked to our spray bay nicely and copped a few tins to paint some of our other kit.

That Smith & Allan stuff sounds good. I have heard of many successes with rollers, in fact its not that many years ago we stoped doing patch repairs on aircraft with them. trouble was with my Gipsy being gloss rollers left a not too brilliant finish; but I have to say it was a decent coat in terms of thickness , dried quickly and has been very resiliant on the areas I did't bother overspraying.

Mentioning TCW those trucks we did for Gulf war 2 in the new BS 380 were from a sister unit 1 ACC. they were convoyed up from Boulmer I bet they turned some heads on the return journey !

As I said in my original post we went over to Lt stone once we had completed the stuff for our own use. My second favourite colour after gloss DBG !!

regards

TED

I was having a look at this company - http://www.hmgpaint.com/default.aspx - that Richard Farrant mentioned. Richard, what is this C71 Speedline paint like, it certainly sounds OK?

Can you guys look at the product info and let me know if this stuff sounds OK?

http://www.hmgcoatings.com/c71%20enamel.pdf

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by LoggyDriver

I was having a look at this company - http://www.hmgpaint.com/default.aspx - that Richard Farrant mentioned. Richard, what is this C71 Speedline paint like, it certainly sounds OK?

Can you guys look at the product info and let me know if this stuff sounds OK?

http://www.hmgcoatings.com/c71%20enamel.pdf

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't think I mentioned that company, but have used their paint in the past. The C71 is the type of paint I normally use. If you are going to get one can mixed specially, I would try Jeeparts first, as it may be cheaper if they have some in stock already. Just done some DBG this afternoon, went off very quickly despite temp not being ideal.

Okay. After lots of help from you guys and lots of research I've decided to go with HMG Paints of Manchester.

I've ordered 5 litres of C71 Speedline in BS 361 Light Stone and 5 litres of 2611 synthetic thinners. With postage and a £4 matting charge the total comes to £90. A bit more expensive than others, but I want to do it right first time. I have to wait a few days as they need to make it up, but it will be with me this week. This will give me time to finish off the prep.

So I'm now hoping for some excellent warm, dry, wind free weather to spray it on.

http://www.hmgpaint.com/default.aspx

Okay. After lots of help from you guys and lots of research I've decided to go with HMG Paints of Manchester.

I've ordered 5 litres of C71 Speedline in BS 361 Light Stone and 5 litres of 2611 synthetic thinners. With postage and a £4 matting charge the total comes to £90. A bit more expensive than others, but I want to do it right first time. I have to wait a few days as they need to make it up, but it will be with me this week. This will give me time to finish off the prep.

So I'm now hoping for some excellent warm, dry, wind free weather to spray it on.

http://www.hmgpaint.com/default.aspx

Good luck mate

TED

When you say "matting", is that real matt like a blackboard or just "not gloss". We've had a few disappointments when matt is requested and it's more satin, despite much stirring etc. Makes me wish we'd asked here first.

Hello mate,

The paint I have ordered is a SATIN finish. They supply it I think in gloss form, but charge you £4 to change the standard paint to a sheen of your choice. They do a flat matt, but I want a Satin as its much better wearing and looks better longer.

When you call them up, you have the option to speak to the technical department. Give them a call and see if they can answer your questions.

Cheers

Hello,

I am new to the site and forum and I saw your post and thought this might help.

Some while back I bought a job lot of MOD sand paint to paint my Defender (still waiting for a sunny day) So I have attached a a photograph of the

Paper label it gives the colour code and batch number and other information that may help.

All the best

James :-)

IMG_0535.jpg

Hello,

Some while back I bought a job lot of MOD sand paint to paint my Defender (still waiting for a sunny day) So I have attached a a photograph of the

Paper label it gives the colour code and batch number and other information that may help.

All the best

james make sure you do an off vehicle test piece that tin is way past its use by date fingers crossed it may well be Ok

TED

Hello,

All the best

Thanks for that info James.

I've just bought some paint with the same paint code from HMG Paints in Manchester. It arrived this morning along with the thinners I ordered and it's in a Satin finish.

Welcome to the forum. As Ted said, check the paint first as I see it's 20 years old and I think the shelf life is only 2 years?

Regards

Andy

Thanks Ted,

I already have and its fine it just needed a fair bit of mixing with a plaster/paint mixer in a drill and it was ok.

I think the main problem with old paint is evaporation due to leaky tins and also the pigment settles and is very difficult to re-suspend unless you use something like a mixing attachment

Funny thing is the chap who sold it to me was a scrap man and he lived on site in a bungalow with some other outbuildings dotted around.He had huge supplies of this stuff and had painted the bungalow all his outbuildings ,fences and car crusher and site vehicles with the stuff over the years so the whole place seemed like a desert scene!!!

Thanks for the tip off though.

Once I have painted it Ill post some images of my oxidation chariot in its new paint:D

Thanks Ted,

I already have and its fine it just needed a fair bit of mixing with a plaster/paint mixer in a drill and it was ok.

I think the main problem with old paint is evaporation due to leaky tins and also the pigment settles and is very difficult to re-suspend unless you use something like a mixing attachment

Funny thing is the chap who sold it to me was a scrap man and he lived on site in a bungalow with some other outbuildings dotted around.He had huge supplies of this stuff and had painted the bungalow all his outbuildings ,fences and car crusher and site vehicles with the stuff over the years so the whole place seemed like a desert scene!!!

Thanks for the tip off though.

Once I have painted it Ill post some images of my oxidation chariot in its new paint:D

Yes, please do. It would be nice to see another in Desert Sand.

The prep is a nightmare. I've been working on it for days. The masking will take quite a bit of time too. The paint manufacturer recommends a dust coat and then a wet coat. The weather is too cold at the moment for me to do it. It's OK in the day time but we have had a hard frost on the ground the last few nights. Glad your paint is OK. Hopefully mine will be Ok as it's only just been mixed up.:cool2:

Yes, please do. It would be nice to see another in Desert Sand.

The prep is a nightmare. I've been working on it for days. The masking will take quite a bit of time too. The paint manufacturer recommends a dust coat and then a wet coat. The weather is too cold at the moment for me to do it. It's OK in the day time but we have had a hard frost on the ground the last few nights. Glad your paint is OK. Hopefully mine will be Ok as it's only just been mixed up.:cool2:

I have treated myself to a spot blaster and will try that for getting rid of oxidation and rust and general rough bits. The benefit is it feathers the edge of the patch or blemish in theory.

I don't think my wallop brush has got a dust coat setting just a wet one lol.

Just kidding I am probably going to roller the flat bits and cut in with a good brush the fiddly bits.

Let me know how you get on.

All the best

James

I'm now going to give it a coat of 1k Synthetic High Build Red Oxide primer before spraying it Desert Sand. I'm in the process of masking up the tyres (bloomin nightmare job) and then just a few more bits of sanding to do then all ready for the paint.

Lt Stone over red oxide may give you a problem regarding covering power, if there are any beer coupons left buy some undercoat; for Lt stone it should be Portland stone but vellum or cream will be OK.

TED

Hi Ted.

Sorry mate, it's too late, I've applied the Red Oxide ZP already. All went well apart from the roof, where it didn't apply too good. So I got a roller out and went over again. I was going to do the primer yesterday, but for some reason when I mixed the Thinners with the Red Oxide ZP Synthetic, it went all Cottage Cheesy. I was trying to mix with HMG 2611 Thinners (Spray 75) but it didn't work. So I went back down to the paint shop in Newbury this morning with the paint. He tried the identical Thinners and there was no problem, so I'm at a loss as to what happened. I mixed this Thinners with the Light Stone and it worked a treat. Considering the Light Stone is Synthetic, I havent a clue why it wouldn't mix.

I bought another 5lts of Synthetic Thinners and this did the job. I then applied a coat of Light Stone. This paint is the Mutts Nuts mate. There are a few runs here and there as I'm no paint sprayer and it was outside, but it did cover the Red Oxide pretty well. I'm going to give it another coat of Light Stone just to make sure the jobs OK, but it looks pretty good.

I've took some pictures and will up load them when the jobs finnished.

Cheers

Andy

I've finally finished painting the Land Rover. I gave it a second wet coat today and it's looking fab. All I need to do is put the bonnet back on, but I will let the paint harden and put it on tomorrow.

The HMG paint is brilliant. I would definitely recommend buying your paint from them. The Satin finish is just right and it is touch dry in 2 hours.

I will take some pictures of the Defender tomorrow after the bonnet has been put back on and before I rivet the number plates back on. I will put the spare wheel on the bonnet in a week after the paint has cured.

Not a job I'd like to do every day as I'm knackerd now. Time for a beer!!:cool2:

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the Landy. Did the last bit of painting yesterday (just in time looking out of the window) It's now all painted up Desert Sand, with coalition markings, TAC numbers, Squadron Markings etc. It could do with a service, but I might do that on return from W&P.

I will take pictures of it at W&P and put up on here.

• 2 weeks later...