What useful gadgets and gizmos do you have?

robin craig

I thought I would start, in the vain hope that others will follow, a thread about gadgets and gizmos in the workshop.

I present for your delight and delectation one of my newest found whotsits.

It is a universal handle and trigger assembly made for any kind of spray can. It makes the use of a spray can a real delight. Costs about CDN $ 5.99. My guys even like them for work as well.

R

Fox parts 012.jpg

Just having the right tool when you need it!

One of my favourite is a Killaspray (5l pressurised type)weed killer bottle used for oil filling. Take off the spray lance and put on a 1/4 turn valve and a curved piece of pipe to get to those hard top up points ie gearboxes etc

I got fed up with squeezing those small plastic bottles! We use them on ROVs to fill up oil tanks and electrical junction boxes, they are an "industry standard".

Sorry no pic (yet).

my favourite thing IS my workshop i spent 20 years on my back under trucks in the open, but true to the wizdom of the wife so much in there still working outside. next best my trusty old mig welder, even if i need to get son in law to weld for me, on small items i cant see the join on. alan

My esential gadget has to be my Leatherman tool. After about ten years of abuse I actually managed to wear one out. As the tools carry a twenty five year garuntee I sent it back to Leatherman for repair. The answer came about six weeks later. Dear sir, Your model of the Leatherman tool is no lnonger manufactured........

Please find enclosed a brand new one of the up to date model!! :shocked:

Well it isn't always the gadgets and gizmos that are the most useful things, I've been giving this a bit of thought lately.

I do use a small amount of what's in the toolbox to do a very large amount of work, but there are any number of things in there that you maybe only need every few years, but when you need them, you really NEED them.

First candidate would be a UN-form thread file, basically a 1/2" square block of tool steel ten inches long with eight different UN thread forms cut in it with a file profile, so I can restore threads. Many of the fittings on my Dodges use standard threads, usually UNF, but the length and head forms aren't easily obtainable, so being able to restore that special 1/4" UNF bolt where the first couple of threads are crossed is invaluable. Doubly beneficial if it is something that is installed on the vehicle and doesn't have to be taken off.

Second, large reverse-thread screw action extractors. Anyone with a Dodge who has worked on the headless bolts on the back springs will really appreciate one of those.

Gordon

My esential gadget has to be my Leatherman tool. After about ten years of abuse I actually managed to wear one out. As the tools carry a twenty five year garuntee I sent it back to Leatherman for repair. The answer came about six weeks later. Dear sir, Your model of the Leatherman tool is no lnonger manufactured........

Please find enclosed a brand new one of the up to date model!! :shocked:

I bought a Gerber multitool back in 98.

It was the only tool with a blunt pliernose.

Still use it allmost daily, worth its weight in gold.

Edited by Enigma
Typo