ferret hub oil

right can any one see a problem with jacking up side of ferret getting wheel hub 1/2 allen bolt (brass) at 12 o clock position and filling up hub and i presume outer tracta joint with ep90 and bringing level two thirds way up hub looking thru hole (put in oil thru hole at 12 position. trans box in N.

right can any one see a problem with jacking up side of ferret getting wheel hub 1/2 allen bolt (brass) at 12 o clock position and filling up hub and i presume outer tracta joint with ep90 and bringing level two thirds way up hub looking thru hole (put in oil thru hole at 12 position. trans box in N.

You need to have the vehicle on LEVEL ground. The filling plug must be either at 3' O,Clock. or 9 O'Clock.

This acts as a the correct level for the oil when filling.

If you do NOT do this, it will Overpressure with the amount of Oil in the housing & blow out somewhere

causing damage & a MESS! :-X

Mike.

I find the easiest way to service a Ferret is with all 4 wheels off the ground. I jack it up, stick it on axle stands then take the wheels off. This allows access to grease all the pivots and check/top up the oil. While the wheels are off stick a tape measure round them and write the circumference on a bit of masking tape. When re-fitting them match the tyres as close as you can on either side. Don't forget to measure and use the spare too.

Chris

there are 2 ways to do it, old way and new way

Old Way - per most manuals

look at page 80 figure 38 on Andy's website here

- on level ground

- fill via plug no1 - ie plug on top of the outer tracta hub

- check level via plug 24 - ie plug to which you refer in #5

- allow considerable time for the oil to seep through the needle bearings and actually fill the outer hub itself

New Way - per an EMER I have never seen but many REME guys (such as Ferretfixer) say this was done:

- on level ground

- rotate wheel until outer hub drain plug (the one you refer to in #1) is in position

- fill outer hub directly through that ignoring the original instructions regarding plugs 1 and 24

(I have been told to use 10 or 2 o'clock rather than 3 or 9 however)

BTW there is no pressure relief valve in the outer tracta joint and thus overpressuring will blow oil past the seal and cause weeping through the 2 drain holes on the rear of the brake carrier plate (and this can excite an MOT inspector who will think you have contaminated brake shoes as a result)

There is a theoretical argument that if you do the old way with the wheels off, then the suspenion is over relaxed and the outer hub will be much lower than normal because it is effectively downslope and so risks overfilling

Edited by john fox