MV heaven

paulob1

just been to the Military Museum at the old police station in Israel, wow what a collection of military vehicles they have a bit of everything and a lot of some...shermans, pzkpfw IV, the sturmpanzer or whatever it was called, the mobile gun mounted on the front of the pzkpfw IV chassis, m107, m60 47 48 charioteer tank, matilda, centurions of course, btr 152 52, mtlb pt 76 ooh the list is amazing...Josef Stalin JS3...i was in heaven...wide track shemrans galore, and the merkava, mk1,2,3 and four...I have a picture of a very odd item on it will post it once i am back in the UK...wondering what it is...looks like some kind of simfire receiver but will let you guys in the know tell me...

if you go to israel, spend a day there I only had a few hours and they had to drag me away...what they have is amazing, loads of gpmg's mounted on the tanks no longer used, tools and gear on them still useful but surplus...ooh i wish it was my musueam, i would get some of them up and running.

one interesting fact was that the m60 has an air cooled engine..not water cooled that was a suprise...

they had a renault early tank,rc 35 I think.. amx 13's some old british stuff, would be very rare here let alone in israel, and a load of rusian and american types, ferretts saracens urals kraz, SU and PT and all of that stuff...

Amazing, as i say will post pictures next week

paulob1

one interesting fact was that the m60 has an air cooled engine..not water cooled that was a suprise...

they had a renault early tank,rc 35 I think..

All post war manufactured US medium tanks M46-47-48 M60 had air cooled motors, the French thing is probably a Hotchkiss H39, a batch of 6 or so was bought in 1948 and I think 2 survive, one certainly had its gun repaced by a larger gun and was photographed in the back lot shortly after the museum was opened to the public.

Expensive time of year to go to Israel? lok forward to seeing the pics

Steve

Ex jordanian Army US built M52 105mm SPG -same design stable as the M44 155m SPGs used by the British Army, the last pic for example shows a hotchkss H39 , a Centaur/Cromwell still with a rather unconvincing main armament, a Lt tank Mk6 (ex Egyptian) a Renault R35 (probably ex Syrian) a staghound and a marmon herrington Mk4 (probably ex Jordanian) and a universal carrier. Hidden by the Cromwell is a Sandwich truck and to the extreme right is a M3 scout armoured car conversion- similar to the type commanded in the 1948 war by Hiam Bar Lev -later Minister of Defence and the guy the Bar Lev defence line was named.

I'll let some-one else play spot the tank;)

Steve

• 1 year later...

Just returned from Latrun where my wife & I were priviliged to have a conducted tour of this super museum.

One of the tanks I was looking for was the Stuart Mk3 "Honey" simply because I served in one of these in wartime Italy.

The only difference was that "my" one was turretless which, although it made it faster and easier to use for it's chosen role as a recce vehicle also left it wide open to receive whatever the enemy chose to throw at you :mad:

Ron

Ron Goldstein in front of Honey (Small) (Medium).jpg

Just returned from Latrun where my wife & I were priviliged to have a conducted tour of this super museum.

One of the tanks I was looking for was the Stuart Mk3 "Honey" simply because I served in one of these in wartime Italy.

The only difference was that "my" one was turretless which, although it made it faster and easier to use for it's chosen role as a recce vehicle also left it wide open to receive whatever the enemy chose to throw at you :mad:

Ron

Hi Ron,

very interesting, can you tell me more about what unit you were in etc?

Ron

Hello Ron

My uncle also served in Italy in one of those, he said much the same thing.

Here is a link about him and his experiences

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15398-Sherman-Crewman-Frank-Dennis-Gent&highlight=frank+dennis+gent

Good to have you on the forum.

Regards and much respect

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Do we have any recent photos of the M3 Halftracks or the BTRs of the collection?

(I picked the attached photos from the net, and definitely are not mine: the 1st from flickr.com, the 2nd from wiki)

BTR-152_640.jpg

SNC00679_640.jpg

Edited by Haridimos