Scammells, Diamond Ts, GMCs, Leylands.... how we used them in NZ in bygone days

Very interesting articles Kevin, thanks. There have been several photos of the Watkins trucks over the last 15 years or so in our UK vintage magazines.

Has vehicle testing and legislation finally caught up with the old girls, or can you still be tempted to venture out on an unusual haulage job from time to time? :-)

Tony

Very interesting articles Kevin, thanks. There have been several photos of the Watkins trucks over the last 15 years or so in our UK vintage magazines.

Has vehicle testing and legislation finally caught up with the old girls, or can you still be tempted to venture out on an unusual haulage job from time to time? :-)

Tony

Hi Tony,

Vehicle testing and legislation here in NZ is pretty tough. Its still fun to watch the VT chappies scratch their heads and suggest the front wheel brakes need adjusting up on the Pioneer. However, in saying that, if the vehicles are up to scratch they get COF ok. My Pioneer has not had a COF for maybe 4 or 5 years now, she just gets used around our property, however, she she be needed for an emergency, its just a matter of pushing the button and we would be on our way in 5 minutes.

Kevin, i cant believe that old Retriever coming down the cutting is holding that lot back did you have a machine behind as the anchor if not you must have worn out the brake drums, amazing

Hi Les,

The retriever was not one of our vehicles. A mover in Wellington had a fleet of them and they pulled some huge buildings. AT that time, we had a Guy, which was similar sort of configuration.

I am sure a dozer would have been hanging off the back of that load due to the slippery conditions.

Cheers kevin

Hi Kevin , thanks for sharing these pictures ! Looks like great fun ! :D

Hi Andy,

Now that I have worked out how to attach pictures to this site, I will try and get a few more on. Yep, house moving was fun in the summer on flat sealed roads. In the winter it could be a nightmare.

Cheers Kevin

In UK we mostly move the CONTENTS of a house by taking them out first. It does make life a lot easier you know. Though your way does save a lot of packing. :D

.. and we leave everything inside including the glasses. Often we will place a glass of water on the bench before we start a job, and at the conclusion of the move, it should still be there no water spilt.....

cheers kevin