Introduction from Bob in Northeast U.S.

bobs1918

Hello All,

I have read some of your posts and I thought I would like to add my input. I have collected militaria for 45 years. I own a WC-56 a 1916 Dodge staff car and a 1918 Dodge Light Repair Truck. So I am kind of partial to DBs. My father was a navigator in the 487th BG (H) in Lavenham. He flew 28 missions and survived!! That is why I am here! I have been an avid Army Air Corps collector/historian and the WC-56 is dedicated to the 487th BG I was the historian for the Bomb group for a time and I have visited USAAF Station 137 several times. I am active with living history group in my area and have been invited to display at The US Military Academy at West Point and at the Hyde Park New York State home of FDR . I have more recently moved into the ww 1 vehicle arena as these are far more unusual. I especially like the thread re the Dennis truck restoration. My Light Repair truck is to my knowledge one of only 3 remaining of the 1012 built. The other 2 being in US museums. So that's it for a quick Intro.

Bob

Hello

glad to share

Here is the 16 and the 18. The 16 was a 4 year frame up restoration. It is restored to ww 1 configuration. the 1916s were first used by US forces along the Mexican border in pursuit of Poncho Villa. My 16 was originally a standard DB touring car as were ALL of Pershing's car during the campaign. The 18 was one of the group of repair trucks NOT to go to France. About 500 did . The rest stayed in the US. This is one of 3 known to exist. 1 is in LA California museum the other in Pennsylvania military museum. Mine is the most complete and original example remaining. Owned for 50 years by a gentleman in Northern California. It had been a farm vehicle after ww 1 and used as a plow truck!!! I have been working on it to restore to original configuration. Enjoy the picture .I have more if you want . Bob http://www.globalarray.net/user/bobspics/1618b.jpg

Edited by bobs1918

Was there a relationship between Solar and CM Hall? I have seen the search lights with both names?

Solar generators seem to be very rare. We have only ever come across one and that was not quite the right model (although very close). Any chance of some photos of your generator?

Thanks

Tim

Bob

I have just posted some images of our Solar on the WW1 truck lamps thread which can be found here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15697-WW1-truck-lamps&p=196821#post196821

But for an easy comparisson here they are as well:

DSCN1936.jpg

DSCN1937.jpg

DSCN1938.jpg

Ours has a diameter of about 5 inches and a height of about 13 inches. Is that the same as yours?

Tim

Edited by Great War truck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob.

Going back a little bit, I am very impressed with your vehicles. They both look super! May I ask how you decided what colour to paint them? Our own US Army FWD is painted a British khaki-brown colour as we were unable to trace any record of the US colour scheme. We may or may not be right but we have no evidence either way. As a British colour, it is spot on as we have a piece of lorry chassis with original paint but I would love to know what US records survive.

Cheers!

Steve