Getting back up to speed

tim gray

Hi Gents,

Just joined the forum and have enjoyed looking around at all the wonderfull kit being posted and incredibly, some very nice recent finds.

By curcumstances i had to drop off the scene some years ago but things are getting back up to speed and im

looking forward to getting back out and mobile again. Just getting close to finishing all the bits and bobs on the old moggie then she can head north for some new clothes :laugh:

Regards

Tim

pu11 (240 x 320)..jpg

Thanks for the welcome chaps, always enjoyed the vintage and historical side of things, and very glad to be in a position to join in again. Sort of kept up to speed by visiting shows etc but not the same as being out and about under your own power.

Quite strange that as i came close to getting the PU up and running with just some minors to sort, a guy has started working at the same place as me, and he's just bought a Morris C8 P. ( P for predictor apparently)

Now i had not really heard of this one so if any one has got a pic or two it would be appreciated. It seems strange that it is a 1943 vehicle yet it is fitted with aeroscreens, no doors etc. Seems a retro step considering the 15Cwt was being fitted with a full windscreen at that time.

It would appear from the brief look at it, that it is not missing too much. Some routine things like extra switches on the dash, electric fuel pump etc but mostly requiring lots of TLC. It is a runner so he is on a winner from day one.

As i said, any pics or extra info on this type of morris would be appreciated. :-D

Regards

Tim.

The C8/P? Very impressive piece of kit that one :) The front end looks alot like the C9/B with the squared off wheelarches but was on the shorter wheelbase and had a rear body and a canvas tilt (plus aeroscreens). The majority (if not all) were transormed into 17 pdr tractors. A very luck find, although I'd rather have your PU any day!!

I'll try to dig some photos of the C8/P up but I'm sure others on the forum will beat me to the draw..

Cheers,

Stef

Hi Stefano and Abn Deuce

The PU is painted in the "Caunter" scheme from the early part of the desert campaign, 1940.....to 41 ish. The paint job sort of lingered on by all accounts as supplies were short for re doing the vehicles to the new schemes. I suppose natural attrition would have taken its toll as well. Some kit was wearing it at alamien but very few.

Two of the colours are easy to get but the silver grey was difficult until i discovered that a local auto paint shop had a match in thier current range so if any one wants some give me a shout and i will send the details. Cheaper than special made. The pattern is from info from Mike Kelly in australia and Mr Starmers book on british colour schemes, well worth the very reasonable price.

I will post a few pics of the PU showing the paint scheme and some of the work i did on her.

As for C8 P it certainly took me by surprise to see it. Intresting comments about the conversion as its got me wondering if it is a modified one or not, certainly had a tow hook fitted. Had a look in the back and it has a double layer floor providing two small sub floor lockers but they are far too small for 17 Pdr ammo, ancilliaries perhaps. Tail gate has double shovel racks on the internal face. It has an extra seat in a very strange location mounted on the front wing forward of the firewall.

Definatley the C8 family as it has the double chasis assy on the front end complete with the squared off wing effect as you mentioned Steffano. Must see if i can get him to send me some pics so i can post them.

Hopefully a couple of pics might be posted to clue me in as to modified or not.

Regards

Tim Gray

Hi Stefano and Abn Deuce

The PU is painted in the "Caunter" scheme from the early part of the desert campaign, 1940.....to 41 ish. The paint job sort of lingered on by all accounts as supplies were short for re doing the vehicles to the new schemes. I suppose natural attrition would have taken its toll as well. Some kit was wearing it at alamien but very few.

Two of the colours are easy to get but the silver grey was difficult until i discovered that a local auto paint shop had a match in thier current range so if any one wants some give me a shout and i will send the details. Cheaper than special made. The pattern is from info from Mike Kelly in australia and Mr Starmers book on british colour schemes, well worth the very reasonable price.

I will post a few pics of the PU showing the paint scheme and some of the work i did on her.

As for C8 P it certainly took me by surprise to see it. Intresting comments about the conversion as its got me wondering if it is a modified one or not, certainly had a tow hook fitted. Had a look in the back and it has a double layer floor providing two small sub floor lockers but they are far too small for 17 Pdr ammo, ancilliaries perhaps. Tail gate has double shovel racks on the internal face. It has an extra seat in a very strange location mounted on the front wing forward of the firewall.

Definatley the C8 family as it has the double chasis assy on the front end complete with the squared off wing effect as you mentioned Steffano. Must see if i can get him to send me some pics so i can post them.

Hopefully a couple of pics might be posted to clue me in as to modified or not.

Regards

Tim Gray

I'll try to dig some photos of the C8/P up but I'm sure others on the forum will beat me to the draw...

I was unaware that period photos exist of the C8/P in original form. If you have some, you're a bit of a hero! Bart Vanderveen's article on these in W&T didn't have one. A line drawing exists in the HMSO date book of wheeled military vehicles.

Tim - the seating should be four abreast. The outside pair are very exposed! The floor lockers and tail gate suggest this is one of the one's converted to A/T form.

Love the PU by the way.

Cheers for the comments guys, few minor changes scince the last photo, main storage locker re fitted between the cab and the tub, horn and dip switch taken off the dash and relocated as a single unit on the column, had to make a copy of the bracket and mounting straps but turned out not too bad. Repaired the holes in the dash.

The absolute WORST was a blow out on the side wall of one of my 9x13 tyres..................:-( totally trashed so now dont trust any of them and its sat on a set of 7.5x16 landrover boots. Please god we get enough folks together to get a batch made up....seems to have stalled out a bit as its obviously a finite requirement.

Still......these things are sent to try us.

From runflats comments i assume that its unlikley to see any pics of the Morris C8P. I will speak with the guy and get him to take some pics for me .It would be good for me to tell him he needs to source a 17 Pdr :cool2:

Regards

Tim