Cruiser A10

Bob Grundy

I remember some years back when the American special forces where on a tour of the Guards depot and where shown the new recruits on the assault course and there challanged the americans team to go against a team of Coldstreamer new recruits on the assault course, they refused saying that they did not do that kind of training. Says a lot for the Guards that there recruits are able to do what the US troups wont! :cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

went down there a couple of weeks ago and no access to the common but i did manage to get a pic of a crusader :-), well i thought it was until i was quickly put back in my place by those more knowledgeable than me, which seems to be just about everybody else on the forum! It's actually a covenanter, bloody tanks all look the same to me.

it would be nice to get on the range for a closer look but it still looks active as an antitank range so not much chance i'm afraid

pic is of the left side

eddy.

pirbright 008..jpg

• 6 months later...

As this thread seems to be have a number of posts about Pirbright I will start this here....:D

I had the good fortune to bump into a buddy who had access to Pirbright in 2007, as he had his camera with him he decided to take a few pictures.

Let me know if you want to see more....

Regards rog8811

Chieftan.jpg

Churchill.jpg

Let me know if you want to see more....

Regards rog8811

Do bears defacate in the woods?:D

As an aside, the Batterie Todt A13 wreck has met its end!:(

http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13222

It fell apart and was consigned to the scrapman's furnace. Doubly sad, as it was probably recovered from the beaches at Dunkirk.

i was planning to buy/swap that a13, it beggars belief that they would scrap something so rare, a tank that was used to fight the germans and eventually free france scrapped because they couldn't think of anything else to do with it. there would have been a hundred guys willing to take it on if they'd just let us know. man! that gets my blood boiling :mad:

eddy

with regard to the a13 i've just called the batterie todt for an explanation and possibly to get hold of the scrap man on the off chance that it's not been shipped off to china yet, i got no answer but i'll try again tomorrow and let you know what they say.

all the best

eddy

i didn't think there would be any mk1's still about which i assumed was the reason bovy have a dummy mk1 as a gate guardian. i suspect they didn't want the hassle and expense of restoring a range wreck and to be honest i can't say i blame them.

so if all that is left on pirbright is the stuff the rest of the tank collectors don't want does that mean i can have it.

it would be nice to get on that range one day, preferably with a low loader :cool2:

keep the pics coming please

eddy

ps. that valentine would be a nice addition for the old collection

Hi eddy

There is a genuine Mk1 at CFB Borden Canada -it went there in WW2 for a extreme cold weather trials and decided to emigrate:D.

The thing at Bovington is a Mk2 and is one of the early Churchills -the Mk1 and 2s were built at the same time- there wasn't nearly enough 3inch howitzers to make all of them as Mk1, so the bovington one should be put back to Mk2 standard -it would still be a rare and significant tank.

A lot of the Pirbright stuff was prototypes (although apart from the mild steel pilots all early Churchills were prototypes -as one wit put it "actually we have 500 protoypes") the Matilda is from the pilot series and it is very interesting to see the way the front hull is constructed -great photos.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition

It all looks very similar to when I was last there in 1994. The Cent with the Ram turret has degraded a little, it was newly placed in about 1989, with its demounted turret.

We tried to tow the turret cross country to refit it but it proved too difficult..... We cheated and sat the Ram turret on it instead!

This is the Budge Trailblazer at work. We were there recovering the Jagdpanther at the time.

trailblazer.jpg

Below are a few more

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35933[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35932[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35931[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35930[/ATTACH]

I have loaded a further 28 pictures to the following album

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=347

There is an outside chance that I can get some more up to date ones in the future.

Regards rog8811

I know where the drivers roof plate and doors from the Valentine are now..... they are on my DD!