Cruiser A10

Bob Grundy

This is photo taken at the A F Budge Gamston depot about 1996. It is a Cruiser Tank Mk 11 or 11A.

They were manufactured 1938 - 1940 and in action with the BEF and in North Africa.

To me and others it is a A10. Originaly it was at Pirbright now long gone for scrap................

A10..jpg

sad to see it went to the scrapper,todays scrap is tomorrow's treasure.

eddy

That's what I keep telling my missus ! She's yet to be convinced...

It is sad but I do find it morbidly fascinating looking at some of the photos of post war scrapyards filled with all kinds of wonderful treasures that would today be worth millions (literally !)...

Of course the paradox is if they'd all been saved then they wouldn't be worth as much or be half as interesting.

Still a shame when things survive as long as this but then get scrapped..

eddy8men

sad to see it went to the scrapper,todays scrap is tomorrow's treasure.

Automotively the A10 was very similar to the Valentine having the same Vickers slow motion (bright idea!) suspession and was otherwise fairly thin riveted armour.

There was a verson of A10 which was classed as uparoured (mainly the front plate and mantlet) which had a closed hull up MG mount as in the photo- I was under the impression that the Pribright stuff at Budge was dispossed of by the MOD when Budge had financial problem in 1996- still probably was scrapped though.

Steve

John Pearson

Another one in similar condition was recovered in Feb 2003.....

If it was recovered from pirbright, at or about the time the Rams and Grant was recovered, then it is just about possible that the A10 was put back. Without a A9-A10 A13 turret completing this as a restoration would be difficult, however as the turret is largely fairly thin flat plate, apart for the mantlet. it's not impossible although the racer ring would be almost impossible to find..

Steve

Just to confirm: there were TWO A10's on Pirbright. One was recovered in 1988/9, (picture by Bob Grundy after recovery) and that went to Budge. It was definitely scrapped about 1996?? Second one (initially thought to be an A9 (but it wasn't) was recovered Jan 2003 at same time as the 'holey' grant and a couple of rams plus other stuff. I saw it after recovery and stressed that if it was to suffer the fate of the earlier one, I would have it to save it. I was assured that it would not go under the torch and long term, would be restored to static 'gate guard' condition. I genuinely do not know who was earmarked to have it but I hope that it never tasted oxy-acetalene as promised, except to loosen seized parts up!

I think you're thinking of a Nuffield A13 Mk2 same turret as an A10 but with Cristie suspension and a liberty engine.

photo from the.shaddock.free.fr

There seems to be only one A10 in existance today A10 CS at bovington 2 A9 one at Bovington one in Ahmednagar.

A13 Mk2..JPG

Edited by steveo578

Hi Eddy

Pirbright is South of the M3 near where it bisects the A322 bounded by B3015 A322 A324 B3012, you may know other camps in this area- Deepcut the RAMC Staff college, pirbright camp and of course the Pirbright ranges share an overfire with the Bisley centre.

There will be a little stuff hanging around, but it has been well picked over in the last 30years. It is a closed range for no other reason than even when not in use it is the safety area for bisley.

Steve

pirbright..JPG

the inevitable question from yours truly ,is there anything still left on pirbright and a location would be nice. might take a drive down there for a scout around if the areas accessable.

cheers edy

The range has NOT been accessible for many years now owing to nearby housing development, unless you want to risk scaleing the high perimiter barbed wire topped fence, not really advisable as it is the overspill area for the Bisley rifle ranges, and Pirbright camp ranges, red warning flags are permanently flying, odd security patrols drive the perimeter track, plus live firing, anti tank & mortar still takes place there, very little of interest is left now, non is viewable from outside of the fence

This is the most famous wreck recovered from this area, the Jagpanther

Jagd Panzer 001..jpg

Jagd Panzer..jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

thanks for the info guys ,still fancy a trip down there,i used to train on pirbright when i was in the junior army hell of an assault course ,it used to be the guards training depot has this closed down now.

eddy

The Guards depot is still operational, cant drive past there anymore, road is closed to the public

Edited by Nick Johns