How to licence a military vehicle on the road?

I know this must be second nature for all you members with vehicles, but you must have all been in my position once , i want to buy my own vehicle but iam in the dark about getting it registered for the road can you tell me what the best way of doing it is please and the procedure.

thankyou big paul

The hardest part was asking the wife i hope.

I know this must be second nature for all you members with vehicles, but you must have all been in my position once , i want to buy my own vehicle but iam in the dark about getting it registered for the road can you tell me what the best way of doing it is please and the procedure.

thankyou big paul

The hardest part was asking the wife i hope.

A Bedford truck .........maybe from Witham i don't know yet

That shouldn't be too much of a problem, you will get a release form to prove the year of manufacture. You'll also need an MOT, insurance and a completed V55 form. I suggest going to the local DVLA office rather than trying to do it through the mail.

A Bedford truck .........maybe from Witham i don't know yet

Thanks Chris .........can you MOT it first without being registered or is it me being thick .......i thought they needed the reg number at the testing station ...as i said this is all new ground but i need something to put all my guns in ............... the wife said and my bed.

Thanks Chris .........can you MOT it first without being registered or is it me being thick .......i thought they needed the reg number at the testing station ...as i said this is all new ground but i need something to put all my guns in ............... the wife said and my bed.

Thanks again Chris for the info its been really helpful ......... i will try to find one with a sleeper cab :laugh:

What type of Bedford are you after? If you have an HGV then there is no problem, if you haven't then you will only be able to drive an MJ that's been down rated to 7.5ton (assuming you have this category on your licence to drive 7.5ton vehicles)

When you buy a truck from Withams they will issue you a MOD 654 form with the vehicle details on it. TOP TIP, make sure you check this form very carefully and make sure the VIN number and other info is correct, if it's not DVLA wont register it.

Get the insurance first and use the full VIN number in place of the registration number (as it wont have one yet) They will send out a cover note so that you can prove it's insured.

Book it in for a private HGV MOT at VOSA. Once it's got an MOT hand in your completed V55 into DVLA along with the first registration fee and £165 for the road tax. When they register it you will be given an authorization form to get the number plates made up and they will also give you the tax disc. As soon as it's registered call your insurance company and tell them what the reg number is and they will issue you a certificate.

Bobs your uncle.:cool2:

Hi Paul, Make sure Withams put the unladen weight of the vehicle on the paperwork aswell as the make, model, engine type & capacity etc. Caused me a few Headaches! Keep a copy of the original paper just in case the DVLC make any mistakes on the new log book! Vehicles owned by the military are excempt from side and rear crash bars - you will need them fitted for the MOT.

Thanks again Chris for the info its been really helpful ......... i will try to find one with a sleeper cab :laugh:

Thanks bob...... i was thinking of a 4 Ton MJ ..... i wanted a Sherman but i don't like living alone or ironing.

Do you recommend any good military insurance company's that wont take my leg up

Thanks again paul

Hi Paul, Make sure Withams put the unladen weight of the vehicle on the paperwork aswell as the make, model, engine type & capacity etc. Caused me a few Headaches! Keep a copy of the original paper just in case the DVLC make any mistakes on the new log book! Vehicles owned by the military are excempt from side and rear crash bars - you will need them fitted for the MOT.

ok all good info about the crash bars thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, same happened to me. Nightmare!!:-(

Ours had an extra digit in the middle, same amount of grief :-(

Top tip is to make a written enquiry to DE&S (Defence Equipment & Support, a branch of the MOD). We got back a single side of A4 on official letterhead, simply stating

"To whom it may concern: I am writing to inform you that the date into service of your TRUCK F/PLAT 4T 4X4 W/TURBO ENG BEDFORD MJP2BMP PTARMIGAN registration number (##XX##) is (date) and the chassis number is SKFMJP2BMGTxxxxxx.

If you present this letter to your local licensing office, it will enable that office to issue a registration mark appropriate to the above-mentioned date. Yours sincerely"

It's way, way easier than getting a new MOD Form 654 issued and the DVLA local office were very happy with it! Saves you getting a Q plate, anyway.

The address is:

DSAOPSDF1A

Defence Equipment and Support

DSA

Ministry of Defence

2 Floor Zone C

St Georges Court

2-12 Bloomsbury Way

London WC1A 2SH

(tel 0207 305 3130, email desdsa1a@deso.mod.uk)

Obviously the last seven digits of the chassis number are enough to uniquely identify it but DVLA can be sticklers for detail! Hope that helps, anyway.

Good luck :)

Stone