Replacing Dodge flywheel ring gear

P Marriott

Hi all just after some advice on fitting new ring gear.

I have already dropped the transmission, removed the clutch , flywheel and taken the old ring gear off. The question is, the new ring gear from Jeep parts is 1/8" thinner than the original and does not have a chamfer on the teeth. Are either of these points a reason not to fit the new ring gear???? Or should i flip over the old one and refit it???????

Should i also be thinking of replacing the rear bearing oil seal as it does weep oil or anything else in the area as i have it apart???

Is it also worth removing thje sump for a good clean out of the oil strainer?

Anyway I await the words of wisdom from you all and look forward to getting covered in oil and grease!!

how bad is your original ring gear? they are usually only worn in two places, i have often just taken them off and turned them 90 degrees on the flywheel so the starter can pick up on the good part of the ring gear. gets a second life out of the old girl.

as for the rear crank seal you may as well change it as your in there anyway, no harm in doing that. same for sump can't do any harm, just usually means you find problems you didn't know had!!

Baz

Cheers for comments on ring gear.

The problem was starting, starter didn't always engage in one position!! I rebuilt the starter last year with new bendix gear as that needed doing.

Just thought with a bit of time on my hands i best get dirty and get the job done!

Adrian is right it will wear in three places being a 6 cylinder and the wear is quite bad. I still wonder wether to just flip the ringear over or use the new one as supplied by Jeep parts even though it is 1/8" thinner.