Bedford MJ questions

MJP

Hello

I am thinking to get me a Bedford MJ. but before I do, just wanted to know some things so I was hoping if anyone have some information about:

fuel consuption

why they smoke so much and does it stops when the engine is warm

is there a difference between a MJ with the griffin logo and the AWD logo?

or are they the same with just a different logo?

I hope someone can help me. Thanks

regards,

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

There is no difference between the AWD MJ that was supplied to the Britsh Army, and those built by Bedford themselves. The AWD marked ones were supplied after Bedford ceased production and AWD took over the business.

Thanks!

so they are n't original bedford?

sorry if I sound silly... just want to be sure

I would bet that they were made from parts produced by Bedford but assembled by AWD as from memory, they came into service not long after Bedford closed there production. Some were suppleied as only cab/chassis and we were removing dropside bodies from MJ's which were going for disposal. Bodies were refurbished and fitted to the AWD MJ's

Verry intresting thank you!

perhaps do you know the reason of the smoke. you cant find info around here becouse the Bedford MJ was never introduced in Belgium...

Smoke........old design engine, not built to emission standards of today's trucks, gets better when hot, things to check, air filter, injectors. Although Belgium may not have had MJ trucks, the Bedford TK would have been imported for the civilian market, so any info should be available, for the 330 Turbo engine. Where I worked, we rebuilt these engines and when they went though the test house facility, a smoke test was done, so there were standards to meet, but I am talking now of over 15 years ago.

MJs are good solid trucks, quiet cabs and comfy compared to the M series trucks.

Easy to maintain mostly, parts readily available, engine is a Perkins turbo so plenty of parts for those.

Both our two smoke like a *&^% until warm then invisible exhaust.

As they were issued in LHD these are going to be the last LHDs to come out of the UK.

Buy one that is useful for what you do. Our most useful one is a Bedford CALM with Atlas crane and short 12 ft deck, ex RAF armaments vehicle according to plate.

See some of my posts

R

MJs are good solid trucks, quiet cabs and comfy compared to the M series trucks.

Easy to maintain mostly, parts readily available, engine is a Perkins turbo so plenty of parts for those.

?????? Where did the Perkins turbo come from ? They were fitted with Bedford's own 330 Turbo in the MJ.

The Marshall-built ones maybe? - last of the line :cry:

Actually Tony, when AWD put in for the new 4 ton contract, which Leyland also went for, and won, they submitted a MJ based truck, with Perkins Phaser six cylinder, with a tilt TL style cab and full airbrakes using the same type of axles. They did not get any British army orders but might have sold some overseas. I have a spec sheet somewhere, from when I looked at the truck at one of the Aldershot equipmnet exhibitions. I believe Marshalls also used the Phaser when they took over production, but no Bedford produced MJ had a Perkins, unless someone has fitted them since.

Interesting, Richard. I've some pictures somewhere of the Marshall TL cabbed 6x6 which did sell to one army I think. The civilian Marshall phaser-powered 4x4s I've seen (utility companies) also had a change to 8 stud axles.

Tony,

When I come across the leaflet, I will scan it to you. A pity it was not selected because in my opinion they had it right. The Perkins was a better engine than the 330, full air done away with fluid brake system and tilt cab, a lot of it would still have been familiar with those operating and maintaining them.

Hi Dirk - Im thinking of buying an MJ too - have done a bit of research - there's a lot of useful info on this site under other threads describing the regulatory requirements (for use on english roads) and maintainance issues etc.

Withams seam to have the best selection

I am going to have to get mine converted to power steeirng - and have the under run and side guards fitted to get an MOT as well as de rating to 7,5 Tonne for use on a standard (oldie's) licence - but Dave Crouch seams to be best guy for doing all this.

Has anyone already got an MJ with these mods already done that he wants to sell ? - If so please let me know.

Charlie

Hello

I am thinking to get me a Bedford MJ. but before I do, just wanted to know some things so I was hoping if anyone have some information about:

fuel consuption

why they smoke so much and does it stops when the engine is warm

I hope someone can help me. Thanks

regards,

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

The Bedford MJ is a very good, old fashioned work horse that has few faults apart from being slow.

The fuel consumption is very good considering how low geared the truck is. I worked out I'm getting 16mpg out of mine, not sure what this is in Km's.

ALL Bedfords smoke like hell. I think it's just the engine design being a pretty old one. Once mine is warmed up the smoke is hardly noticeable.