RAF Bombers sink the Tirpitz Battleship

RGJ/H. Alan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't a US Coastgaurd ship have a small walk on part in the rediscovery of Bismark's position?

I can't find anything about that, tell me more.

The Royal Navy Failed to sink Bismark. Most of the heavy ships had to withdar, out of fuel or ammunition.

She finally went down because of her Captains decision to abandon Ship and to Scuttle her, not wishing any possibility of her falling into enemy hands

Didn't a US Coastgaurd ship have a small walk on part in the rediscovery of Bismark's position?

Don't, whatever you do, let the Yanks know! They'll claim ALL the credit for the Bismark caper!

After all, they won WW2 all by themselves, apparantly we only had a supporting role. For them WW2 began on 7.12.1941!

(All applications to join the Anglo-American Friendship Society on the back of a ten-pound note to...)

Re WW 1 many Americans I have met also think that WW 1 started in 1917 and they won it. Also in KOrea, even service men wh were over there didn't know other nations were involved, or Vietnam for that matter too. I blame the US press and their school system for these "small" over sites. US uber alles.

Re WW 1 many Americans I have met also think that WW 1 started in 1917 and they won it. Also in KOrea, even service men wh were over there didn't know other nations were involved, or Vietnam for that matter too. I blame the US press and their school system for these "small" over sites. US uber alles.

A lot that I've met don't even know when (or even where) their national anthem (The Star Bangled Banner)was written, or when it became their national anthem. On the subject of claiming credit (when they weren't even there) wasn't there a Hollywood film about recovering an Enigma machine from a U-boot by a US Navy team?

In defence of Hollywood and WW1. The film Flyboys, eceptionally well made. Very good story. As for 'Hiysterical Fact' a recent survey of youth in UK showed many thought Adolf Hitler was a British General!

(Yes, I maeant to spell it this way)

• 2 weeks later...
Is that at the museum near Tromso Marty, I still havn't had a chance to get there?

I haven't gotten that far myself either. This is from the resistance museum in Oslo. See this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17292-Norway-s-Resistance-Museum-Oslo

A friend of mine has one of the lifeboats from Tirpitz I'll see if I can get a photo of it for you.

However I managed to get to Bodo to the Aviation there on tuesday. Will post photos from that trip later.

Marty

• 4 weeks later...
We do have the son-in-law of the late, great Willie Tait as a member of HMVF. He led the raid to sink the Tirpitz.

MB

You also now have a son of a piolt from 9 Sqd on the books. Why oh why dose everyone forget about 9Sqd and only think that the junior Sqd had anything to do with it .Have being to the museum at Tromso it is quite small and has mainly parts from the Tirpitz it is housed in an underground amo store for the anti-aircraft guns and is situated on the other shore from Tromso on the E6 road. Regards John

You also now have a son of a piolt from 9 Sqd on the books. Why oh why dose everyone forget about 9Sqd and only think that the junior Sqd had anything to do with it . Regards John

Welcome to the forum John, I did hear a rumour that 9 squadron came along on the day to observe the proceedings..... :cool2:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bloke in our shop the other day and he noticed the Lancaster Haynes Manuals on the shelf. He proceeded to tell me that his father-in-law was an airman who was on the raid and found his name mentioned in the book. Its a small world.

I had a bloke in our shop the other day and he noticed the Lancaster Haynes Manuals on the shelf. He proceeded to tell me that his father-in-law was an airman who was on the raid and found his name mentioned in the book. Its a small world.

Rick I know it was a busy day, but....:nut:

I was at the former airfield today, that 617 Sqn used for the raid on the Tirpitz, not a million miles from their present home as it turns out, anyone want to take a guess at it!

It was Scotland, was it Lossiemouth?

Edited by antarmike

It was Scotland, was it Lossiemouth?

Certainly was, I don't think Adam meant Yagodnik which was used as a staging post on the first raid.

There was a good story concerning the billet arrangements at Yagodnik which were infested with bugs, Tait being the only one not to be eaten alive. Word soon got round that even Russian bugs had respect for rank.

Certainly was, I don't think Adam meant Yagodnik which was used as a staging post on the first raid.

There was a good story concerning the billet arrangements at Yagodnik which were infested with bugs, Tait being the only one not to be eaten alive. Word soon got round that even Russian bugs had respect for rank.

Lossiemouth for the second and third raids, Even so at extreme limit of range and Lancs had to be modified by removing front turret to save weight. Extra fuel tanks from Mosquito's and Wellingtons were cobbled on, and the Lancs took off with so much fuel they were nearly two tons heavier than standard "Tallboy" take off weight.

They were based at Lossiemouth, which is where 617 Sqn currently reside, but little known, they were also stationed at RAF Banff as part of the same operation.

RAF Banff was more famous for its Banff Strike Wing which was part of Coastal Command, they flew Mosquitoes on Anti shipping raids destroying U-boats and vessels carrying vital mineral and ore supplies, they flew with the RAF Dallachy wing Bristol Beaufighters and RAF Peterheads 315 Sqn Mustangs and RAF Fraserburghs Vickers Warwick Air Sea Rescue aircraft putting up nearly 80 aircraft, supported by RAF ASR high speed launches from Fraserburgh harbour, for its attacks against the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe.

They took some very heavy losses, but inflicted massive damage to the German war machine

I was up at Boyndie (RAF Banff) yesterday, and had a quick look at the airfield, there is a trust set up just recently to take care of its history, there are alot of real time warp buildings on site, so it would be good to see something happen to the place to preserve what is left.

Link to photos of the derelict airfield as it is now, some interesting buildings remain.

http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679

Edited by Adam Elsdon