Ferret distributor help

Never worked on a distributor before, so forgive all the dumb questions I'll be asking. I'm learning.

Installed a new set of plugs in the ferret. Gapped for .015. I also have a set of NOS HT leads that I'm replacing the old cruddy ones with. Also got 2 new sets of points. The HT leads seems pretty straight forward I think. Cut the wires to the proper length and install on the pins. The old ones seemed to have a type of resin/glue on the ends?? Do I just push the new wires on the pin or do I make a samll hole in the wire then press it on the pin?

The rotor arm seems really dirty and coroded. Do I need a new one or can it just be cleaned up? What about the inside of the rotor cap? File it clean?

On the points can I just replace the old with the new or will I have to then fool around with the timing?

Thanks -Chris

1965 Mk 2/3 Ferret

00 EC 55

119-1904_IMG.JPG

119-1907_IMG.JPG

Edited by pigdog
wrong plug gap

The leads just press into the cap and are held in place when the top is fitted. You can clean the cap and rotor arm with some emery paper, don't file them as you may remove too much material. When you replace the points don't touch those screws which are painted red. You should really read the instructions before touching the points.

Chris

The leads just press into the cap and are held in place when the top is fitted. You can clean the cap and rotor arm with some emery paper, don't file them as you may remove too much material. When you replace the points don't touch those screws which are painted red. You should really read the instructions before touching the points.

Chris

never clean the rotor arm or the posts in the distributor cap with anything abrasive this increases the gap betweenthe rotor and distributor posts making the coil to work harder

laurence

Chris

replacing points note position of the washers on the low tension wires if you fit them incorrectly it wont start. make sure when gapping that you rotate the engine to open the points then adjust

Laurence

Never worked on a distributor before, so forgive all the dumb questions

The rotor arm seems really dirty and coroded. Do I need a new one or can it just be cleaned up? What about the inside of the rotor cap? File it clean?

On the points can I just replace the old with the new or will I have to then fool around with the timing?

Thanks -Chris

1965 Mk 2/3 Ferret

00 EC 55

Rotor Arm: Rub the edge of the brass distribution segment on the side of a tyre HARD. This will remove a lot of the corosion / build up without taking any metal away. The 'Posts' inside the dizzy cap, just scrape away the carbon build up CAREFULLY with a small screwdriver. You will find that 'Flakes' of carbon just fall off. I have done this to dozens of Ferrets in service when i worked on them to no detrimental effect.

Mike.

Essential reading from Clive then..... http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/IGNITIONMATTERS.pdf

I found this yesterday and printed it out.

The posts in my distributor cap some seem like the rotor arm was rubbing them, so they have a gouge in them. Is that normal or should it be replaced? I might just go ahead and connect the HT leads and check out if it runs any different and then replace the points.

119-1908_IMG.JPG

Edited by pigdog

The posts in my distributor cap some seem like the rotor arm was rubbing them, so they have a gouge in them.

It won't be rubbing. It is erosion from the spark jumping the gap, which is inevitable with time. I would just clean it sufficientlty to see clean metal, but don't try to flatten it level.

Worth also cleaning the end of the rotor arm where the spark jumps from. Just rub it back & forth on some very fine glass paper etc.

When you replace the HT leads in the cap don't tug at them as it is easy to snap the pins in the cap that penentrate through the cable insulation into the wires. This is partilarly likely to happen if there is a bit of corosion. Use a long fine screwdriver wiggled in beteeen the cable & the cap. Then when the tip of the screwdriver is near the end wiggle it from side to side to try to lever the cable from the pin.

Also make sure your rotor arm is really nice & dry. I have seen unused mint condition ones exhibit leakage through the insulation material to the shaft. Yet I have seen far better performance from an old & grotty rotor arm. The reason the grotty one was better was that it had been out all day on a traders stall!

I measured the insulation of a series of rotor arms I had. Then remeasured them after they had been left out in the hot sun all day & the leakage halved. Probably not significant with a warm running engine. But trying to get something to start, that hasn't started for a while best not to have a damp rotor arm. Now you know what a linen cupboard is for so that the spare rotor arms can keep the welding rods company:)

Edited by fv1609