armoured lancia

vintary

Fantastic! Thanks for posting these. Like Steve said we have known about this one for a long time but these are the first photos that we have seen of it.

Tony Oliver tells me he went to an auction in the 1970's and there were four of these up for sale. he thinks they sold for about £800 each. he bought one which he since sold on to the Lancia museum (who i suspect removed the armour). One is in an unrestored but armoured condition at another UK address. There are two more civilianised in Ireland and one more (with a spare chassis) civilianised in the UK. Anyone know of any more?

Tim

Fantastic! Thanks for posting these. Like Steve said we have known about this one for a long time but these are the first photos that we have seen of it.

Tony Oliver tells me he went to an auction in the 1970's and there were four of these up for sale. he thinks they sold for about £800 each. he bought one which he since sold on to the Lancia museum (who i suspect removed the armour). One is in an unrestored but armoured condition at another UK address. There are two more civilianised in Ireland and one more (with a spare chassis) civilianised in the UK. Anyone know of any more?

Tim

Tim, are you including the one mentioned in this thread? http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?11656-Rolls-Royce-armoured-car/page2

Its camera shy, although i seem to recall the Registration as OI 1275 or 1250, it sounded like an engine size!

For obvious reasons the owner doesnt want its location made public.

Is it me or does the RUC vehicle look a little over restored, the paint work is so smooth and shiney it looks like a mirror on the armour, to the point were it looks a bit weird?

Edited by Adam Elsdon

• 4 months later...

Ah, so thats where it is. I feared that it had been returned to a civilian livery. This was one of the four that came up for auction in the 1970's 80's. It was purchased by Tony Oliver and was later sold on to this Italian museum. Thats seven of them that we know about although three of them no longer have their armour.

• 2 months later...

I remember that in about 1964 five or six of these Lancias arrived here from Ireland , all lories except one armoured car, they resided in a sand pit at Burgess Hill for a time. All I think had the clutches missing for some reason. I used to go to the Southern Counties Car Auctions at Frimley Bridges, Hants ( this later became British Car Auctions) and on 16th April 1966 , Lot 31 was the Lancia armoured car which sold for £350. The lorries did the rounds for the next 20 years or so, 3 or 4 found their way into an Essex collection where one was restored out of the lot ( still at same location and owner). One other turned up at an auction at Newhaven ,Sussex, I think in the late 1980s , still missing the clutch.

Richard Peskett.

Lancia Lot 31.jpg

thanks richard

thats a nice bit of info just the kind of stuf im looking for. I could find very little info on the lancias stil with armour or restored back to a armoured car. i think i mite have a photo of that civvy lancia but because its privately owned i'll pm it to you rather than upload it. let me know if its the same one .

Edited by vintary

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know the chassis number (it is on the brass plate on the bulkhead) of the RUC vehicle, and confirm its registration number?

In my growing register of these Lancias I have the following so far.

There will be more to add

Paul Mayo

Lancia Trijota ?

UK: OI 6939

Belfast Registration

Barton Fleet No. 087

26-seater front-entrance body

Lancia Trijota ?

UK: OI 6975

Belfast Registration

Barton Fleet No. 079

26-seater front-entrance body

Lancia Trijota ?

UK: OI 6985

Belfast Registration

Barton Fleet No. 081

24-seater body

Lancia Trijota ?

UK: OI 6990

Belfast Registration

Barton Fleet No. 083

26-seater body, chassis rebuilt before going into service.

Lancia Trijota

UK: OI 1391

1918 armoured car, 1st UK registered May 1923

See Truck Magazine, December 1981, p.33: For sale a fully restored 1921 Triota lorry for £11,500 ex. VAT from Ollerton Engineering Ltd, Samlesbury Bottoms, Preston, Lancashire

• 4 months later...