J60 engine

john fox

Question

A friend has asked if the J60 engine would be useful as a spare for his civilian Mk2 Jag. Can someone kindly give a basic idea of what would be needed to use the J60 in a normal car instead of the civilian 4.2L engine. Obviously the carb and all other ancillaries are irrelevant.

- Is the bore stroke different (he thinks a J60 is 4.5L)?

- What is the J60 stud pattern - he thinks there are 2 versions of Jag engine with the later one having "long" cyl head studs that penetrate the water jacket to get to the block and obviously therefore have corrosion issues?

- Does the detuning of the J60 for military purposes mean the pistions etc are all different so that the only really useable bits left from the J60 would be the head and the block itself?

8 answers to this question

I know on the Unimog 404 they had a different cam to derate the engine , so maybe jag may have done something like this ,,,

Phil,

I seem to recollect the J60 cams are the same as those in car engines. Found this out when I had an engine with two broken cams and smashed timing gear. I was surprised, expecting a more docile cam.

The mounting for the distributor and the bell housing and flywheel would need to be changed for sure (having done the conversion the other way).

If your friend wants a spare, our Spartan engine is being removed soon (and put up for sale) to be replaced with a military spec one. It was a recon unit from a fire engine and is nearer to car spec in terms of tune (or seems to be). Reading manuals there are many different compression ratios for these engines as fitted to cars so the military one is probably a low compression ratio one.

Are car engines really that rare that you'd have to break up an MV pack? I would have thought the car variants were mass-produced in much greater volumes so it's a bit of a strange idea to me. He can do what he wants though, obviously :-D

Stone

I would have thought the car variants were mass-produced in much greater volumes so it's a bit of a strange idea to me.

£260 from Withams auction for a J60 is £300+ cheaper than it would cost to buy a civi engine from a dealer, so its all down to cost and second hand engine values, an ex MV engine should :rolleyes: be a better bet than a clapped out civi one from a scrapper. That said, the answers here have decided him against the idea, pity coz I was gonna get the MV ancillaries from it gratis :-D