New Zealand What Ever Happened To?

robin craig

Question

5 answers to this question

All but a couple or so of the Scorpions were sold to a dealer in the UK, they were mainly empty hulls as the engines, gearboxes and many spares were sold at auction a while earlier.

I think there are a couple at Waiouru and at least one ex-British Army imported from the UK in private hands.

About the Ferrets, I know nothing!

The amy auctioned the scorpions and an acquaintance of my fathers supposedly won the tender for them. Something went topsy turvy and they were sold to a British dealer. There is apparently two scorpions at the museum in waiouru, although I have only seen one myself. The ferrets were sold off and there is about six of them that we know of floating around the country. Two in the National Army Museum (Waiouru) and four or more in various parts of New Zealand. There is also a couple of British ferrets that have been brought in by the public as they could not get NZ ones, the same goes for the scorpions. Also, when we were told that we were not allowed to purchase any m113 APC's or M548's etc (that were subsequently scrapped!!!) a few members of our club imported FV432's as an alternative.

The amy auctioned the scorpions and an acquaintance of my fathers supposedly won the tender for them. Something went topsy turvy and they were sold to a British dealer. There is apparently two scorpions at the museum in waiouru, although I have only seen one myself. The ferrets were sold off and there is about six of them that we know of floating around the country. Two in the National Army Museum (Waiouru) and four or more in various parts of New Zealand. There is also a couple of British ferrets that have been brought in by the public as they could not get NZ ones, the same goes for the scorpions. Also, when we were told that we were not allowed to purchase any m113 APC's or M548's etc (that were subsequently scrapped!!!) a few members of our club imported FV432's as an alternative.

Is there still a Scammell Explorer on display at this museum please mate ? I did E-mail them direct but did not receive a reply !:-D

I have never seen the scammel explorer. The museum has a big problem. It's too small. Only about 5 or so vehicles are actually on display, with another 4 or so gate guardians. The vast percentage of vehicles are in storage sheds, which can only be seen on special request. I would quite like to get my uncles Scammel going this year, nice trucks.