Withams Auction

84KB11

Was not quite sure where to put this post, so here will do.

Anyone seen the Vigilant Mk2/6 Ferret that Withams have in their auction at present?

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/27747/Alvis_Ferret_Mk2_1950-60.htm#

Its in a bad way, but this has to be one of the rarest ferret varients and would be nice to see it restored.

Hi Clive,

No, I had a good look at it when up there for the last tender.

Its still a 2/6 hull, but missing all the turret mounted brackets (ground off).

Its not had the 2/7 conversion like my old one.

If I still had the spare 2/6 turret, I would have been very tempted by it myself.

Fair enough if you've crawled over it. All I could see were the old 2/6 holes as per 2/7. But I suppose having a spare wheel made me think it was no longer in 2/6 role. Rather like the Bovington 2/6 which is actually a 2/3 with a 2/6 turret dropped on!

I remember taking part in the SSVC film "Anti-Tank Guided Weapons - An introduction". The presenter read from the MOD approved script as he stood beside the Bovy "2/6". After some debate, because the script was not meant to be changed from what had been approved, I managed to press for a change that said "the spare missiles would normally be carried here but on this particular vehicle has a spare wheel fitted instead". Otherwise anyone with any knowledge would have watched with horror as it would have made no sense referring to it carrying spare missiles.

Yes I remember you had Vigilant tendancies. If you decide to buy I have some nice little unused Vigilant tester labels & I expect I could find some of those elusive missile bin straps.:-D

Was not quite sure where to put this post, so here will do.

Anyone seen the Vigilant Mk2/6 Ferret that Withams have in their auction at present?

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/27747/Alvis_Ferret_Mk2_1950-60.htm#

Its in a bad way, but this has to be one of the rarest ferret varients and would be nice to see it restored.

I had a look at it during the December tender sale and thought that it looked o.k. it had most of the bits that a restorer would want. Inside was reasonably complete and the inside / outside was to be expected from a vehicle that’s been a gate guard.

Either the MK4 or the 2/7 came with a free birds nest and egg

I've a few more pictures to add

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/other_variants.htm

Edited by ferrettkitt
can not spell

Hello Andy

Well done taking a photo of the data plate. However I can't quite see the hull number. **77 is all that I can see on the photo.

Please could you let me know what it is if you took note.

Cheers

Matt :)