DTV Area MVT Playing in the Snow 28th Dec

A small number of the Durham and Tees Valley MVT went out for a road run and play in the snow today around North Yorkshire. After meeting up, we headed out from Catterick Garrison into the hills, and stopped first near a firing range for some photos, before heading on for a pup lunch.

We couldn't do the complete route as planned, as the road was closed due to heavy snow. That didn't stop us trying, until the tracks through the snow stopped, and one of the gang in an M38A1 got grounded in the snow/ice, with wheels airborne. In the end it took my Jeep and a Champ roped together to pull it free. That's when we turned around and went back down the hill.

winterrun1.jpg

winterrun2.jpg

winterrun3.jpg

winterrun4.jpg

winterrun5.jpg

winterrun6.jpg

winterrun8.jpg

winterrun7.jpg

Hi that looks to have been a nice outing , Don't think I've seen them jeeps about but think the landy looks familiar ,, where did you go for bub lunch , brother gets up to Tan Hill he looks after their Hugland ,,

Bit off topic but did you know the chap that was in the news midsummer East Cowton with some great model aircraft , some pics below the first was used in a film

100320091785.jpg

100320091787.jpg

The landrover was a reserve vehicle, as Ken's Champ has engine problems and he didn't want to bring his Humber Wireless Truck out in the snow.

Can't remember the name of the Pub, but it was in the Redmire/Leyburn area. We drove down the mud track next to Redmire Station, and I don't think it was long after that.

Re the models, the Gladiator on the trailer looks familiar. If so, it could be Chris Hodgeson.

Thanks for posting looks like it was a pretty good time until the snow got too deep .

I guess having a set of chains for such an emergency to aid in getting a stuck vehicle freed would be in order for the next winter trip .

Question being one set for one axle only or a set for each axle for the most traction .

Not saying every vehicle has to have them ,

The landrover was a reserve vehicle, as Ken's Champ has engine problems and he didn't want to bring his Humber Wireless Truck out in the snow.

Can't remember the name of the Pub, but it was in the Redmire/Leyburn area. We drove down the mud track next to Redmire Station, and I don't think it was long after that.

Re the models, the Gladiator on the trailer looks familiar. If so, it could be Chris Hodgeson.

Yes thats the chap ,from what I remember most of his planes went into storage at a local Raf base until he found somewhere to keep them , not spoken to him for a while so not sure how he's got on ,, was up Leyburn a few weeks ago and was hoping to cut across to Redmire but was getting late so missed out ,