New member from Berkshire

NickAbbott

Hi, been reading this forum now for a few months, particularly the restoration blogs, which are excellent. I though I should introduce myself.

I've had some involvement with military vehicles in the past, having owned an ex Army Series 2A Landrover, helped with work on a Chev breakdown, been involved in the restoration of a Leyland Retriever, with Coles crane and a an Austin K2 Ambulance. I've also just bought, with a friend, an early Matador, which will hopefully be restored to original condition over the next few years, so I'll probaby be asking lots of Matador related questions. In addition to this, I've also got a Series 1 Landrover, although that doesn't have any military history.

Nick

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm located in Bracknell, and my Matador is stored fairly closed by. Regarding the Leyland Retriever, I think the crane is very similar, to the ones fitted to the Thornycrofts - I assume the one you are talking about is like the one they have at the Milestones Museum, in Basingstoke, and having looked at that one in the past, the cranes looked fairly similar. I was trying to find some pictures of the Retriever, but couldn't find any good enough to show the crane.

Nick

Hi Nick

I would imagine that Amazons crane where fairly similar to the Leylands, but they might have had another rating, I think that our coles is a five ton crane.

When you helped with the restoration of the leyland did you find any spares for the crane in the uk?

I was not aware of a Amazon in the Milestones Museum, the only one I know in England is the one at Yorkshire air museum and a lot on Malta.

Cheers

picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=2880

picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=846

picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=845

Edited by Niels v

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a rather poor picture I took in 2003, of the Thornycroft Coles crane in the Milestones Museum, at Basingstoke. I have no idea if it is an Amazon or not, as I know very little about Thornycroft vehicles. I also have a feeling that I didn't see it the last time I went there a couple of years ago, so it could be the one you mentioned in Yorkshire.

I couldn't find any pictures of the Retriever, but the pictures of the crane look very similar. I know it wasn't originally fitted with the crane, and was originally an army lorry, but moved to the RAF when the crane was fitted.

N54-18.jpg

Hi Nick

I was not aware of a Amazon in the Milestones Museum, the only one I know in England is the one at Yorkshire air museum and a lot on Malta.

Cheers

Hi Niels,

a friend has an Amazon sat in a yard near Southampton, awaiting restoration. There used to be one in Poole in Dorset (15 years ago?), which I think disappeared, and another in West Sussex, not sure if its still there or not.

Nick,

welcome, good to have you here!