Getting armour through france

Tony Pearson

Question

9 answers to this question

Tony, I can't give exact advice, but I know the general 'rule' is don't go through France with any MV unless you absolutely have to. Even my friend in Belgium, who I need to collect a WC51 from, advised going Oostend - Ramsgate to avoid France!!

Having said that, my recent purchase from Jeepest (CCKW), was collected by a UK trucking firm and on arrival there was a heap of 'transport' forms that Jeepest had completed, purely to ensure no issues when going through customs/border control at Calais.

I have heard of recent cases of AMX13's being seized on route to the UK, after purchase at French military sales, and the UK owner lost the tanks (confiscated) and had to pay 12k Euros to get his artic back, following a Paris court appearance! I don't think this was a fabled horror story either! One approach would be to transport into Belgium, then bring to the UK, after getting Belgian papers for it.

Hi if you do go through France make sure you get prior approval from the port authority and the ferry company.It depends what you carry in terms of weight because in Calais there is a weight restriction on all bar one of the loading ramps,and you need to fill in additional forms to show all the axle weights etc.We took my 1944 T34 85 to Bethune this year on a Scammell Crusader and had a helluva load of agro at both Dover and Calais because of this.

Good luck

I have heard of recent cases of AMX13's being seized on route to the UK, after purchase at French military sales, and the UK owner lost the tanks (confiscated) and had to pay 12k Euros to get his artic back, following a Paris court appearance! I don't think this was a fabled horror story either! One approach would be to transport into Belgium, then bring to the UK, after getting Belgian papers for it.

So let me get this straight: The French government will quite happily sell you their obsolete tanks but they will then find a pretext to seize them back again and fine you for possessing them into the bargain. Words fail me! I wonder what happens to the confiscated tanks; perhaps they re-sell them and confiscate them again? No wonder the French aren't worried about their budget deficit, when they have a never-ending source of revenue!

Im not sure what laws the french (oe others in the EU) are using to impound armour.

possibly the 'common military list defining rules for govening control of exports of military technology & equipment'.

It should be noted that the EU version of the list dated 27th feb 2012 excludes armour manufactured prior to 1946

see section ML6.

http://ebookbrowse.com/the-common-military-list-of-the-european-union-pdf-d367953820

However the UK version of the Military list does not include the exclusion.

So if you are exporting from the UK you will need an Standard Individual Export Licence SIEL.

if you dont have a licence you are in breach of Article 2 of the Export Control Order 2008, this carries a 5 year prison sentance!

to obtain the licence you need to detail the countries the vehicle will pass through as well as a lot of other information.

If the vehicle is manufactured after 1946 its a whole differant ball game because you should get permission to transit through each and every country.

Edited by singaeger