Ferret gearbox problem

Fugly

The gear selector pedal is jammed in the up position. I dropped the linkage off the gearbox end and the jam is inside the gearbox. I am assuming that i have confused the mechanism and the main spring is applying pressure to the gear selector mechanism.

I was going to remove the large plate off the offside of the gearbox, as from the drawings i assumed that might release the spring pressure and allow me to relocate things.

However ... I thought i had better ask advice first just incase :-d

The gear selector pedal is jammed in the up position. I dropped the linkage off the gearbox end and the jam is inside the gearbox. I am assuming that i have confused the mechanism and the main spring is applying pressure to the gear selector mechanism.

I was going to remove the large plate off the offside of the gearbox, as from the drawings i assumed that might release the spring pressure and allow me to relocate things.

However ... I thought i had better ask advice first just incase :-d

The bus bar has gone "over centre", the pedal needs a hard kick to release it. Select a gear, before you do it. Could be that the bands are out of adjustment. Do not try opening the box up, the pedal has to be released to free the box.

OOps.... :??? Patience was never my strong point. Thanks for the reply

I removed the plate slowly and carefully releasing the spring pressure - I was expecting a huge bang when the bolt threads ran out but I could feel the tension coming off. I removed the plate and carefully lifted the spring out, followed by the bucket. The busbar shaft was now free, and moving nicely (Hopefully :sweat:) I just need to replace the spring - retension etc. It will probably never work again.

What I did achieve though was seeing the sludge that was in the box after draining the old oil out. I measured the oil level before I started and it looked OK (slightly low though). The amount drained out was 7 pints (book says it should be 1.25 imp gall.) I reckon there is at least 1 pint of sludge and rubbish in there that would not drain out. So i need to flush it out somehow. The ferret has stood for many years and there was a lot of moisture in there too. Will post the outcome good or bad.

Need some gearbox oil now - what shoudl I use?

OOps.... :??? Patience was never my strong point. Thanks for the reply

I removed the plate slowly and carefully releasing the spring pressure - I was expecting a huge bang when the bolt threads ran out but I could feel the tension coming off. I removed the plate and carefully lifted the spring out, followed by the bucket. The busbar shaft was now free, and moving nicely (Hopefully :sweat:) I just need to replace the spring - retension etc. It will probably never work again.

What I did achieve though was seeing the sludge that was in the box after draining the old oil out. I measured the oil level before I started and it looked OK (slightly low though). The amount drained out was 7 pints (book says it should be 1.25 imp gall.) I reckon there is at least 1 pint of sludge and rubbish in there that would not drain out. So i need to flush it out somehow. The ferret has stood for many years and there was a lot of moisture in there too. Will post the outcome good or bad.

Need some gearbox oil now - what shoudl I use?

Right, first the oil is a SAE30 engine oil. Good job you were aware of procedure for removing the bus bar spring, because it should never be removed under compression, could be lethal if the bolts had run out of thread.

You might have got a "false neutral" and now when you put it back, with something like 3rd gear selected it may be alright. You say there is a lot of sludge and moisture, it makes me wonder if the band linings are breaking up or worn. Have you removed the tin cover on the top of the box? If so you will see the five band adjusters at the top, see how far down from the top face of the nut, that the male thread is. Better still, post some photos of these adjusters and bands.