Registering a Jeep with the DVLA

44GPW

Question

Hi All,

Recently imported a Ford GPW from the US. Came with a US title correct to the previous owner but incorrect as far as the Chassis No is concerned!! Jeep will be in restoration for approx 2-3 years, so no rush with this, but need to know how i register it with the DVLA (getting the chassis number amended) and obtain an age related plate?

Anybody been through this??

Thanks

Richard

14 answers to this question

Personally, I would ignore the US registration as if the DVLA think it has had a replacement chassis fitted, they will want to issue a Q plate. I know that is not the case but that's how it will look to them.

I would just register it as what it is, get a dating letter from a recognised organisation and away you go!

piece of cake, done it plenty of times. But it does depend on wether you get the jobsworth in your local DVLA office (i know who to avoid in the Portsmouth Branch!)

My approach is this

1, Get the MVT to verify it (or IMPS etc)

2, MOT it

3, Insure it

4, fill in form V55/5

5, Take it all to DVLA with your £55 i think it is now

I tell them its a barn find that has been restored, that was originally imported by the British under the lend-lease agreement during WW2 and was released from the British army in the 60's. That way all your paperwork should match up i.e numbers etc and there is no import stuff to worry about.

You then get a date for inspection so they can check the numbers and the vehicle is roughly what they think it should be.

Job done.

Unless you get the jobsworth, then they may ask for a letter from HM custom to sy they have no interest in the vehicle for tax reasons. the problem you have then is Customs in Dover are not interested in writing such a letter as they say you dont need it!!! and so it goes round. this has only happened to me once and when i returned to DVLA they processed it straight away!!!! MAD!!!

Worked for me many times on many WW2 vehicles.

In kent they now inspect all vehicles before issuing a V5 so if you have a chassiss number engine number make sure its on all the paperwork before you send it off the MVT will send a trusted member to look before they will give you a letter Imps are less fussy but will require photo everdence of vehicle chassis numbers

As was said in an earleir reply dont tell them you imported it !!! if you do they will send you another form from HM customs to fill in then you will pay tax and VAT best say it was found in a barn

Why would it be nontransferable? Not doubting you, just don't really understand why they would do that...surely the whole point of 'personalised' plates is that you can make a vehicle look as old as you want. As I understood it the only thing you can't do is make something look newer than it is, is there a caveat somewhere I missed?

Stone

Why would it be nontransferable? Not doubting you, just don't really understand why they would do that...surely the whole point of 'personalised' plates is that you can make a vehicle look as old as you want. As I understood it the only thing you can't do is make something look newer than it is, is there a caveat somewhere I missed?

Stone

They will issue the appropriate date related number plate for the GPW as long as you have a MVT or similar report. You can get hold of the guy who does this on the MVT website. He will come out and inspect the vehicle to confirm the chassis and engine numbers tally with the age.

The reason the numbers are non-transferable is because they (DVLA) have got wind of the fact these numbers are worth money.

Don't know the answer to this, its just what it says on the logbook. i believe motorbike and tractors are the same??? no doubt someone on here can come up with an answer?

Stone

They will issue the appropriate date related number plate for the GPW as long as you have a MVT or similar report. You can get hold of the guy who does this on the MVT website. He will come out and inspect the vehicle to confirm the chassis and engine numbers tally with the age.

The reason the numbers are non-transferable is because they (DVLA) have got wind of the fact these numbers are worth money.

Correct!!!!!!!! its to stop you from making a profit. :cool2: