What sort of Artillery piece is this?

It's a 105mm Pack Howitzer (also referred to as a Pack How). Unusually being towed by a Humber Pig. Unusual because the 105mm Pack How generally served with 29 Cdo Regt RA and 7 Para Regt RHA, both of whom rarely used the PIG (except when deployed to Northern Ireland, where deployment of teh Pack How would have caused some concern to the locals!).

Phil:):)

It was also used by the Light Regt RA supporting 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade in Hong Kong.

It is made by Oto Melara, and is also used by a number of Commonwealth and NATO armies. Fired a 35lb shell some 10,000m. It could also be dropped down into the low anti-tank position (with the shield removed it had an extremely low silhouette). Was also broken down into about 9 mule loads (or underslung loads for small helicopters like the Sioux - tried a couple of times in Hong Kong). The normal tractor was the 109" Landrover.

The unit designations start to get a bit confused about the time of the introduction of the 105mm Pack How. The designation SP for Self-Propelled seems to have disappeared (or at least been quietly dropped) and for example, those units equipped with the Abbott self-propelled gun were also refered to as Field Regiments. Light inferred they had limited mechanised resources (Commando and Para for example) Medium and Heavy were defined by the calibre of weapon assigned to the Regiment/Battery, off the top of my head I can't recall the exact definitions.

Phil

Field Regiments at the time of the introduction of the pack howitzer consisted of 3 batteries, 2 field and 1 medium. There was no seperate designation used to distinguish between towed and SP units.18 Regt RA in 1965/66 was a field regiment in Germany (part of 1 Division) with two batteries of 25 pdrs and 1 of 5.5" guns. With the move to Hong Kong in 1966 it became designated as a Light Regiment, having 2 batteries of 105mm pack howitzers and 1 of 5.5" guns.

A Medium Regiment had 2 batteries of medium guns (say 6xM109) and 1 of heavy guns (4x M110). Heavy regiments disappeared, becoming missile regiments, with a battery of 8" Howitzers (towed), later M107 (or M110) and one of Honest John (later Lance)

Heavy regiments disappeared, becoming missile regiments, with a battery of 8" Howitzers (towed), later M107 (or M110) and one of Honest John (later Lance)

Don't claim to be an RA expert. I have long tried to reconcile Hemer / Menden and am sure I associate it with both 50 Missile and 5 Heavy from my site guard days in the late 70s.

I used to be with the Signals unit attached to 1 Artillery Brigade, and I can't remember any Heavy regiments. Memory is fallible, though, and with so many defence white papers, one does tend to lose the overview. I remember heavy regiments in the 60s, but not the 70s, and I'm not absolutely sure when they changed the designations. Apart from that, my family was 5 generations artillery, until I defected to the Signals!

Just some random thoughts on this piece of artillery. It was also known as the pack howitzer as the whole gun could be broken down into small sections capable of being carried by a mule pack train in the mountains.

Some people called it the spaghetti gun as its parts flopped all over the place, kind of rattling piss fit idea.

There were two Britains die cast toys of this. One has trails that are not flexible at all joints the other one has all joints flexible.

The Canadian Forces used them but were withdrawn a few years ago, a few are monuments in front of Legion branches.

None in civvy hands in Canada that I know of, they were towed by the Chev 5/4 ton trucks.

Seemed to have dissapeared around the time of the bisbandment of the Airborne after Somalia.

Robin

They are still in use by Spain ,Italy, Germany and Argentina.The German ones are used by the Airborne, Mountain and AMF-L troops (some 65 weapons in service). I have downloaded some pics from MP.net-just check the Argentine Armed Forces thread. Shows a Pack How in the "mule pack" mode.

fingers in lugholes was standard practise before ear plug or defenders became part of the standard issue uniform.

Haven't you noticed how many old gunners wear hearing aids and really bad old gunners have missing digits.

My great great grandad was at Sebastapol in 1854 came back unscathed only to be blinded by an accidental flash back at shoeburynes, went on to have at least 18 kids (rumours were 22 pregnacies) so it didnt affect anything else, GG grany died worn out 1890 something, he was 85 when he passed on in 1917.

Britains guns had to fire matchsticks - the plastic rounds used to disappear quite quickly. As to "gunner's deafness" , my father started to wear a hearing aid not long after his retirement. I don't remember my Grandfather having one - but I was a nipper when he passed on.

Schliesser92

It's known as Gunner Ear in the Regimetn today, but you do have to be careful how you say it and to whom, as it can get confused with a certain "social" disease!

Phil