Aluminium corrosion treatment?

fv1609

Question

We are all familiar with rust treatments like Kurust etc. But is there any similarly easy thing that can be used on aluminium?

The most obvious places to be confronted with this problem are the steel/Permabright junctions on a Land Rover. The steel can be treated, but can the aluminium?

Been away all week so a bit late on this one. I heard of a treatment used to stop such corrosion from taking place inside the wing sections of some of the exhibit aircraft at Elvington. I believe it was in aerosol/spray form but it was hideously expensive, but it worked 100% . Once the stuff was applied that was it, an immediate stop to current activity and it found its own way down through the corroded bits and sealed against future occurences. So aerospace products will provide a solution. Dammed if I can remember the name but I think I should be able to track down a man who does. If I come up with it I'll post it for future reference as in the circumstances of irreplaceable parts it could have a use, whatever the price.

Chris but does that have any penetrative power? Obviously a good metal to paint adhesion will be of future benefit in keeping water & air out to prevent the electrolysis.

Obviously loose white stuff (aluminium oxide?) has to be removed. It was the compromised metal that remained that worried me, hoping for some stabilising chemical. Although I suppose if its really clean & still hard, one get good paint adhesion it won't progress.

Clive, when I respayed my Land Rover it had patches of aluminium oxide on the rear door where the metal brackets were rivited on for the pioneer tools. I sanded the door down to get all the oxide off and then wiped the surface with thinners. I then sprayed the door with red oxide primer before spraying the vehicle with Beckers polyeurothane enamel NATO green and black paint. This was done back in 2005 and the areas I did have not caused any further problems.

Edited by LoggyDriver

stuff called socopac is corrosion inhibiter used on commercial aircraft , i used to work in the falkland islands for a civvy helicopter outfit sharing a hanger with 78 squadron RAF they used to spray their seakings with px24( wd40) for protection against corrosion . ( used to be good for atracting peat dust!):)

Edited by griff66