Bedford MJ Winterization?

terreneuve

There is an additive for air brakes, though don't know the name. I'd pack straw bales round the vehicle up to the level of chassis if it is left for a while. I did this a number of years back now with a disiel Land Rover. that was waxing up. A couple of hurricane lamps left under it, solved the problem.

Put some kero in with your diesel and drain the air from your airtanks to stop the moisture from freezing.

Theres not a lot else to do.

I did these things to our MJ's when i was in Norway on Ex Hardfall...never had any issues with waxing and we were out in -35 !

There is an additive for air brakes, though don't know the name. I'd pack straw bales round the vehicle up to the level of chassis if it is left for a while. I did this a number of years back now with a disiel Land Rover. that was waxing up. A couple of hurricane lamps left under it, solved the problem.

Methanol (Methyl Alcohol) is use in an alcohol evaporator to stop vital parts of the system freezing whilst the vehicle is being driven. No need to use it if the vehicle is being laid-up.

Edited by antarmike

Hi John.

Make sure the antifreeze is of 50/50 mix or even stronger if the vehicle is not going to be used over the winter. I have just done mine and filled it

with 100% antifreeze but my vehicle is not being moved over the winter, and it is better than having a cracked engine block.the temp in newfoundland is much colder than the uk so maybe 100% may be a good Option.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive

Protruckservices.com

Clive, be careful about over 50% mix, not recommended by most makers,

Many engine failures are the result of improper antifreeze usage. To protect equipment from coolant–related damage, it is critical to know the different antifreeze types, required mix ratios and problems that could result from improper use. A 100 percent antifreeze solution will turn to a solid at 9°F (–13°C). For best all–around protection, use a 50:50 mixture of antifreeze and water. Concentrated antifreeze needs water for chemical balance and optimum performance.

found here http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915572&contentId=7022991

I've Not had a problem in the past with 100% turning to a solid form. yes i agree the normal is 50/50 or even 60/40 which was put in the scammell commanders when they left the factory. Just one thought why do the manufacturers store the 205 lts drums

out side in cold temps including vehicle manufacturers. and yes i agree do not use tap water in the mix.

clive

I was thinking of Newfoundland, probably not a problem to us in UK.

Trouble is most info that truck manufactures put out is aimed at commercial users working their kit hard, it is not always easy to decide what to do with low mileage preserved vehicles on a budget, all those scary chemicals like SCA bubbling away..

Hi John.

Make sure the antifreeze is of 50/50 mix or even stronger if the vehicle is not going to be used over the winter. I have just done mine and filled it

with 100% antifreeze but my vehicle is not being moved over the winter, and it is better than having a cracked engine block.the temp in newfoundland is much colder than the uk so maybe 100% may be a good Option.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive

Protruckservices.com

Clive, is this on the C6? After I filled mine with a 50/50 mix, a liner seal started weeping and over a 3 month period filled the dry sump with a couple of gallons of coolant. When I next started it the scavenge pump pressurized the oil tank and a jet of filthy oil, water and antifreeze shot about 20 feet in the air, narrowly missing someone standing close to the filler. It was quite funny at the time but had the filler cap been a screw on type I am not sure what would have blown first.

Hi Mike

I normaly drain the vehicle down after the winter. and refill with new engine oil, 50/50 mix, and new filters before i fire them up,i remove the covers and fill at the top of the engine, just to make sure there is oil on the top end before the engine is started for the first time. thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the water level. i would prefure to do a liner seal than change a block.

Cheers

Clive

Edited by protruck
typo

I leave my Defender out in the winter without any special measures. Just make sure you have a 50/50 anti freeze mix (to get it mixed properly you need to measure the specific gravity and get the reading recommended by the manufacturer). It will help having a waterproof tarpaulin over it to stop the worst of the rain and snow and this will also help keep the paint fresh.

This will be my Bedfords first winter out in the open. I've got a tapaulin over the body and cab, but these aren't 100% water proof just shower proof. IT keeps the bird sh*t off the paint anyway and helps keep things dry.

I try and give my vehicles a run out once a month, but the Bedford because of being under wraps will be parked up for the winter without being moved. I will endevour to run the engines up every 3-4 weeks. This keeps the metal inside the engine coated in oil and circulates the oil and water. It also helps burn off moisture and keeps the batteries charged up.

The best cover I've found is the breathable type used to cover mobile homes, caravans and camping wagons. They really are great and easy to fit.

I've emailed a company that makes tarps to any speck to see how much one would cost. They do rip stop 100% waterproof canvas covers. I will add a link later if they are reasonable.