Chance encounter with D-Day vet.

Rick W

What started off as an otherwise rainy and uninspiring day turned out to be one of the most remarkable chance encounters I've ever had.

An old chap turned up at my garage to have a quote for a slight mishap with the front end of his Yaris, as I was tasking him for more info he asked me to speak up as he was deaf in both ears due to him being at D-Day. After checking that the phone was manned, I went back out to our waiting room and just asked what regiment he was in. He then spent a while telling me his story of the war. I will attempt to recount his story as he told it. He was very forthcoming, I asked no questions as he went on to tell me about his war.

His name is Filby, Mr Filby, 94 years old. He was a despatch rider, one of a group of despatch riders attached to the signals. On D-Day he told of how him and his group had to scramble down the nets under fire to get to the landing craft, during this moment he lost 2 of his men as they fell off the net and perished between the LC and the ship. Once on the beach, they started to move inland. It was at this point that a 16" shell from one of the battleships shelling the area fell short. He lost most of the hearing in both ears and it took out his kidney. He thought he was on his way home, but they shipped him to a field station and after only a remarkably short time he was back in action in the Bocage. "We learnt to drive our bikes with our bodies down one side of the bikes as the jerries would pick people off from the hedges, I lost a few men there." He went on to recount the Ardennes and was at the front there, he was moved to Caen for a 2 week breather but they only had a few days there as they were recalled back. He remembers seeing Royal Tigers fresh from the factory by the side of the road having run out of fuel.

The Falaise Gap. "I dont know if you know the Falaise Gap? It was like a big valley, we were overlooking the retreat of the Germans. There was a long column of germans, they had got hold of the big haywagons the French use, they were overloaded with loot. Pictures , statues, you name it, it was one long column of them. They moved to one side of the road when the panzers came through. When the panzers were most exposed, a line of Canadian Shermans took up position and opened fire. I will never forget the men trying to crawl out of the tanks in flames."

A port, he couldnt remember the name of. He recalled Churchill flamethrower tanks trying to take a line of heavily defended pillboxex. The germans were ordered to defend them to the death, behind them were the SS, ordered to shoot any who deserted their post. "It was a terrible thing, it was just men crawling out of their holes, screaming as they ran around in flames."

He went on to Nijmegen (I think), and witnessed the airdrop over Arnhem. Telling of how the sky was a mass of parachutes and how the Nazis just sot them while the were in mid air. " It was wholesale slaughter, they didnt stand a chance. I didnt and still dont understand it."

He went on to tell the story of the rescue of the airborne British from over the Rhine.

It was a time cut too short as I had people and customers waiting. But I will stay in touch with this remarkable and humble man.

A moving story, here is an other one. After my return from Korea I was trasfered to the Belgian navy and officers school. I was in charge of a platoon of recruits and during infantry training we ended up near Ypre. I saw 2 couples there, one English the other German. As I speak both languages I sort of listened in. Then it dawned on me, both gentleman were vet. of WW 1 on oposit sides and at the same time. So I did introduce them to each other and played translator for the rest of the day. It was quite an experience and what they went through I had gone through some 40 years later. To top it all of my recruits dug up several WW 1 remains.

Mr Filby was attached as a despatch rider group to the Signals. Im going to get in touch with him to see if I can help get down his memories. He did have particular memories of the Netherlands, telling tales of bridges littered with german armour. Im keen to see if he has any photos.

Mr Filby was attached as a despatch rider group to the Signals. Im going to get in touch with him to see if I can help get down his memories. He did have particular memories of the Netherlands, telling tales of bridges littered with german armour. Im keen to see if he has any photos.

More info and pics would be great! :)