It must be in the genes!

Great War truck

By a remarkable stroke of luck, a family friend purchased two photograph albums at auction which were full of photos taken by or actually of my Grandfather during his WW1 military service.

The first photo that i came across was this one:

IMG_0512.jpg

So, i guess he was interested too. A pity i never talked to him about his military service.

He joined the Devonshire Yeomanry as a private, undertook Officer training, joined the Cheshires. Served at Passchendale. Was gassed. Sent back to UK to recover. Back to the Western Front where he was involved in bringing troops up to the front.

Here are some more photos, in no particular order. I hope that you find them interesting. Any comments gratefully received.

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Bet the tank museum would love to see them.

Stunning pictures and remarkable that they feature your grandfather.

I agree with Jack that museums (especially the tank meusum and the IWM) would be interested to see these.

Relatively informal pictures from the Great War seem to be quite rare.

Edited by Johnny

Tim and Steve's Grandfather always warned everybody of the perils and dangers of Drink and Tobacco. We are most amused to see that he has a cigarette in his hand in the photo of him over the Lewis Gun! Be sure your sins will find you out-in this case nearly 100 years later!

Tony

Tim and Steve's Grandfather always warned everybody of the perils and dangers of Drink and Tobacco. We are most amused to see that he has a cigarette in his hand in the photo of him over the Lewis Gun! Be sure your sins will find you out-in this case nearly 100 years later!

Tony

Thats interesting. I had not noticed that until you pointed it out. He would be mortified to think we had seen a picture of him smoking. Now, i will have to go through the albums looking for him with a drink in hand or maybe even a woman!

The wrecked aeroplane is probably a Zepellin Straken (thank you Centurion). A four or five engined bomber. I have been looking for a picture of one, but so far without success.

Looking again at the photos, i have just realised how interesting they are. What truly amazing things he must have seen. Poor old chap. I wish i had spoken to him more.

Here are some more photos. They are mostly of him and his mates larking around.

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

I think this was his billet in Cologne:

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

Even though the war had ended, germany still had its dangers. One of his friends in the army of occupation disappeared one night. Murdered by the locals and the body dumped somewhere. Sad to go through all that horror, only to get stabbed in the back in a dark alley.

Tim (too)