CES Kit

Its me

• 2 weeks later...

On a regimental or squadron move, the Troop (Platoon, etc, but I am thinking Recce) Sergeant travels with the Advance Party and signs over all of the vehicles, having checked each against its own particular CES.

When the main party arrives, Troop Sergeant then signs over each vehicle to its driver (turret equipment to the gunner). Because the CES is (was) a paper document, susceptible to rain, oil. getting lost by incompetent drivers, etc, the wording on the Army Form, General AFG1033 would read something like "Scorpion, 02FD14 complete as per CES 12345, less CES 12345" (sorry after all these years I have no idea what the CES number for a Scorpion might have been).

So, come the day of reckoning (kit inspection), although the Tp Sgt has his signature on the formal document, he has in his hand a piece of paper that guarantees he passes the buck on to the driver.

• 11 months later...

God, those were the days. Mind you the gunner had to do the same for his own CES kit as I remember. Certainly this was the case in the Household Cavalry anyway. We used to have occasional kit checks just to make sure you hadn't lost anything. My troop used to mark everything so as to make it that much harder to nick

Mick

I believe Preston Isaac aslo found the original drivers helmet for his Centurion AVRE at the trade stalls at W&P. It has MR WHIPPY written on it, which was the drivers nickname. This is more remarkable considering the vehicle was recovered from the Gulf sea bed!

I think one of the lifting eyes gave way when the AVRE was being craned ashore during the first Gulf war, and it sank, to be recovered later.

In 1977 takes you back a bit doesn't it, C sqn The Life Guards on AMF(L) were preparing to load up on Sir Galahad on our next trip to Norway. While loading one of our Scorpions by way of a slung platform on a crane, the wind picked up and the whole thing started to swing like a pendulum. The inevitable happened and the Scorpion fell into the drink between the quay side and the ship. Army divers went in to recover all the kit from the vehicle while another vehicle was quickly shuttled up from Windsor. The amazing thing was that the kit recovered from the vehicle in the drink was enough to service a complete troop of twelve soldiers. Now isn't that amazing!!

Mick

• 1 month later...

Ive no idea, but when I started out on this MV caper I thought NOS referred to vehicles fitted with a Nitrous Oxide System! I very quickly learnt though, without any cause of embarrassment to myself. This is probably due to my owning very fast jap cars until family life forced me to get something with 4 seats! :roll:

When did the ces system start ? as I only ever see reference to it re later vehicles

Nigel

I first saw a CES for a Scorpion on 20 May 1977, the day after we returned from an 18 month tour of Omagh, Co Tyrone as we signed for our vehicles.