The naming of parts!

Great War truck

The naming of parts is a famous WW2 poem by Henry Reed.

Someone may wish to quote it here, but i thought that the name was quite appropriate to this thread.

Who can identify the truck and name the parts (these first three are off the same truck):

BcCQg2kKGrHqMH-DcEqw2h-WdLBKywjpwg_.jpg

BcCwlgmkKGrHqUH-CUEqvgeUTkVBKywiC7Z.jpg

BcCbScQmkKGrHqQH-DwEqu2YOLdeBKywlOE.jpg

Hint: Engine off WW1 truck is not enough to win a Mars bar from Jack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tim, I hope you don't mind me putting this picture in this thread. Anyone knows 1) If these are WW1 wheels and 2) What they where fitted on?

Looks like they are German as the name in the cushion says Vorwerk.

Thanks

Marcel

S8306165.JPG

I dont think so Tom, although a good guess. I think it is French in origin, although the owner was not sure himself what it might be.

Here is a nice easy one. For sale a few Months ago.

DSCF0549.jpg

Tim

No response. I am suprised. It is the ammunition body off a WW1 Nash Quad or FWD. Still looks like original paint on it.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, the truck is actually called a "Light Aviation", and was made specifically for the Air Service. I am not aware of there being any survivors, and photos of them are quite rare as well. Here is the grill:

Grill.jpg

I am not aware of any other truck having an identical one. Simialr yes. Identical no.

Tim

No No no , you were no being cryptic at all . I did not know there was a make of truck called a "Light Aviation" I thought it a category of truck.

On the subject of WWI American trucks I came across these makes White,Sampson,FWD,Kelly Springfield,Mack,Kato,Packard,Graham not sure if both of these were American mfgs or imported Saurer and Velie.

Definitely an area that could do with more exploration .

• 1 month later...

Sorry, so idea at all Tim, but I have often wondered why wooden wheels, which on horse drawn wagons where never designed to transmit torque, often seemed to be preferred on early heavy internal combustion powered vehicles whilst steam driven ones used mostly steel wheels. The spokes must have moved and worked loose in use and caused reliablity problems, have you any thoughts on this?

There doesn't look to be much round clearance but there would, of course, be a tyre as well which would give it another 2".

I am guessing that they stuck with wooden wheels simply from familiarity. The classic cart or carriage wheels transmit no torque, as you say, and are constructed by forcing spokes (often oak in the UK) into an elm nave or hub. The number of spokes which can be fitted to a wheel in this manner is limited and it was found that guns gave this type of wheel more punishment than it could stand. To get over this, the 'artillery wheel' was invented in which there are so many spokes that their ends wedge against each other and the hub is formed by sandwiching them between iron plates bolted together. This type of wheel can carry torque and is invariably the type used on motor vehicles. The picture shows this construction.

Early British military vehicles almost invariably had steel wheels but American imports very commonly carried wooden wheels. I must admit that I don't know why but has always struck me as strange as the more 'modern' British style wheels were mounted on plain bronze bearings but the 'old fashioned' American type had rolling bearings. Our Autocars of 1917 actually have tapered roller bearings. If someone can shine some light on this peculiarity, I should be very pleased to hear it.

Steve