British Studebaker Weasel :)

ozm29c

Fellows,

My first post here:):). I have just imported a Studebaker weasel from Sweden to Australia and although I am sure that you are well aware Weasels were used predominately by US forces, this particular weasel was a Lend/Lease (I think) to the British forces. Hence my posting on this forum. Could anyone shed some light on British forces and in particular their use of Studebaker Weasels. I have attached some photos for info. The supply/mech 6362 data tag photo was the key to this. Also there is a photo showing the partially hidden British "P" registration number. :)

I look forward to any infor that you may have.

Cheers

John Wilson

x4010002.jpg

M29C_Weasel_USA_40186510_SUPPLY_MECH_6362.jpg

M29C_Weasel_USA_40186510_PXX0965.jpg

M29C_Weasel_USA_40186510_hull_4338.jpg

M29C_Weasel_USA_40186510_sn_8812.jpg

M29C_Weasel_USA_40186510.jpg

The supply/mech 6362 data tag photo was the key to this. Also there is a photo showing the partially hidden British "P" registration number. :)

Hi John,

All Weasels under Contract Supply Mech 6362 come in five batches of census numbers;

X5853143 to 5853242

P5881878 to 5882381

P6160643 to 6160990

P6180709 to 6181208

P6225756 to 6226757

"P" is prefix for amphibs, why the first one is listed as "X" in the copy book of census numbers, I don't know, but it was a mistake somewhere in time as that letter denotes a Trailer.

regards, Richard

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Can I assume (using simple maths) that approx 2449 weasels were supplied to the British under this contract? If this is indeed the case, this is a significant number of vehicles out of the total amphibious weasels production. I will endevour to recover the original P number for you. Of interest my weasel retains its original USA number which was not painted over when the P number was applied????

Thanks again

John Wilson

Can I assume (using simple maths) that approx 2449 weasels were supplied to the British under this contract? If this is indeed the case, this is a significant number of vehicles out of the total amphibious weasels production.

John,

They are the numbers allocated for the contract, but quite often the actual numbers delivered may vary, especially if a ship sank onroute from the US. It does sound a large number. I am no expert on this particular vehicle, but if anything else comes to light I will pass it on to you.

The Weasel was actually a British design/invention. Geoffrey Pyke, better known for HMS Habbakuk, the ice aircraft carrier. The story goes he actually annoyed the Yanks by taking the original protoype over to Canada during the building of Habbkuk. He spent more time playing with it than the project.

Richard,

Any leads on where to search. I have found some weasel photos in British Pathe and by Google searching 'Battle for Walcheren'.

John,

There is a website of photos from the Imperial War Museum library. I have gone through it sometime ago, but do not have the link to hand. Might be worth enquiring of the Tank Museum library, who have a lot of photos.

• 11 months later...

Hello Richard,

Attached are a few photos I have found of British Weasels used in the Battle for Weskappelle(not sure how to spell it). The first photo is of a weasel excavated awhile back. The next photo shows its unit marking. Can you identify the unit? The third photo shows a weasel with Caution Left Hand Drive on the rear float tank (plus its ID) and finally the last photo shows a British marked weasel with a US star on the hull.

Can you offer any thoughts or ideas on the markings etc in these photos? I am finding this very interesting to research as most weasels I see are restored with US unit markings.

Look forward to your help

Cheers

John Wilson

Buried weasel.jpg

British regiment ID.jpg

Caution Left Hand Drive.jpg

Neede - april 1945 - f.JPG

Hello Richard,

Attached are a few photos I have found of British Weasels used in the Battle for Weskappelle(not sure how to spell it). The first photo is of a weasel excavated awhile back. The next photo shows its unit marking. Can you identify the unit? The third photo shows a weasel with Caution Left Hand Drive on the rear float tank (plus its ID) and finally the last photo shows a British marked weasel with a US star on the hull.

Can you offer any thoughts or ideas on the markings etc in these photos? I am finding this very interesting to research as most weasels I see are restored with US unit markings.

Look forward to your help

Cheers

John Wilson

The unit flash looks like a Signals outfit. White over blue with red numerals. The number suggests a Corps Signals Regiment.

If it was involved in the battle for Westkappelle (translates into Western Chapel), it was probably XXX Corps under Horrocks.

The unit flash looks like a Signals outfit. White over blue with red numerals. The number suggests a Corps Signals Regiment.

If it was involved in the battle for Westkappelle (translates into Western Chapel), it was probably XXX Corps under Horrocks.

HHmmm, that could indeed be the case with this particular weasel. Reading the account by "Pete" in the following link;

http://www.combinedops.com/Walcheren.htm

He makes mention of weasels.

Cheers

John W.