People who know their threads

R Cubed

Well since fitting my small Hiab type crane I have encountered it jamming up when loaded and slewing on several occasions, on braking the crane down I have discovered a thrust bearing missing off the bottom of the main base, also though, there is a thread for a nut which is also missing !!!!!!!!!

What I am after is a nut and tab washer ( I think ) to stop the main upright of the crane riding up and over the top taper bearing and jamming.

The nut is as near as to 70.00mm X 2mm does anyone out there have such a beasty or would it be something a good bolt supplier might have, any suggestions warmly welcomed ?

img245R.jpg

I'm certain it will be a crane maker's special - big diameter but small pitch thread - and you should really be looking to get one plus a bearing from the manufacturer. Are they still in business? I can't remember what crane it was now and your photos have been lost......

The bearing is a standard size and no problem to get, that is under way.

The Hiab type crane is actually a Viper 20, as far as I can tell, no longer in production, however there is a company doing the Lucas swing lift cranes and has a model V20 which to all intents and purposes looks identical, and have contacted them !

Would there be anything special about the nut ? apart from size and pitch which is metric ( 70mm with 2mm thread pitch ) could I get one mage by say a gear company ?

The bearing is a standard size and no problem to get, that is under way.

The Hiab type crane is actually a Viper 20, as far as I can tell, no longer in production, however there is a company doing the Lucas swing lift cranes and has a model V20 which to all intents and purposes looks identical, and have contacted them !

Would there be anything special about the nut ? apart from size and pitch which is metric ( 70mm with 2mm thread pitch ) could I get one mage by say a gear company ?

Any good machine shop should be able to make one up for you at a reasonable cost (for a given value of reasonable!!) If you have a set of thread gauges it would be worth verify it is metric and the correct pitch - assuming you haven't done so already and this counts as instruction in the art of extracting nutriment from eggs! :):)

You are a star, did not even give that a thought, I am getting the thrust bearing from my local bearing company and on reading this gave them a ring and blow me down, they have one in stock ................ for £10

Try a bearing supplier as they do locknuts big diams fine threads.

Well all went well had to borrow some thread file, hmmm now they are a useful thing anyway after cleaning up the thread on the bottom of the crane, greased up the bronze bush ( you know its best to to have a greasy bush ) then on went the greased thrust bearing and then the new shiny nut, also had to make up a lock tab to stop the nut undoing and all is well.

IMG_3657R.jpg

IMG_3658R.jpg